2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Different states, different experiences. The folks I know from California are like you say droski, the folks I know back home are like Uni says. Hell, I hear that from both liberals and republicans in Colorado, who seem to be oblivious of one another despite living in the same neighborhoods.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

How can anyone destroy Obama's legacy. The events are the events and your excuses won't change anything. The guy's legacy is married to a really shoddy health insurance plan written by the insurers and a hyper-inflated stock market. The inflation to come will be added to his tally.

What else is there? Either the events happened or they didn't. I can't by any measure call the guy even a decent president.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which makes complete sense given the political landscape of the two areas.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Legacy certainly can be determined by perception which is why the legacy of Reagan surely differs between your and my perception, despite the status of events. So it will be with Obama, unless Obamacare crashes and burns in the manner you've been promising for years now.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's already crashing and burning. do you really think there is any chance whatsoever it will be looked upon favorably by history?

7. Unimane

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

huh? from this article:

Second, the law isn’t getting any more popular. It’s true that some polls, which ask respondents whether to “keep and fix” the Affordable Care Act or repeal it, generally produce majorities saying the former. But that doesn’t mean people have warmed to it, and in early August, a Kaiser Family Foundation tracking poll generated some inexplicably bad numbers. The basic favorable-unfavorable rating was 37 to 53 percent. That 53 percent represented a staggering eight-point negative spike since June.

9. Unimane

I think you are missing the point in that the concept that it is a big failure or crashing and burning is not necessarily a consensus, nor a sure thing. The poll numbers he notes just mean they have fluctuated by what he considers a lie riddled campaign against it that won't necessarily hold up.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You think the American people haven't noticed their costs and deductibles going dramatically up since it passed? I also love the number of enrolled people argument. How many of those people are getting subsidies? isn't that a hell of a lot more relevant than the number of people enrolled?

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so you don't think the swing voters moved the other direction? I assume you're kidding.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Invent them? No.

Reinvent them? Yes.

Is this going to be shoved sideways up the Dems ass for the next 3 generations? Yes.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's a much more entertaining thread when you read Uni and IP's posts as being really dark humor.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the most humorous bit is how we are careful to provide some sort of link, whereas others just lay down "how it is" without being subjected to the same level of scrutiny. Like the swing voters thing.

3 generations. So this is like worse than a broken mirror, huh? Can you put something tangible or testable up to that? What will "getting it shoved up their ass sideways" look like, in terms of the real world? What will you point to as an indication of such?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still don't think is addresses The GOP's identity issues. This wasn't a win for them, but more against rejecting Obama.

The GOP didn't win on any great organized issue other than not being Obama.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Obama won on being not Bush. What's the difference? Both parties suck.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's what I'm saying as well. I don't think this election means success for the GOP in 2016 unless Obama goes crazy with POs.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Please. Obamacare kicking in is finally going to be an albatross. He has spent a huge amount of effort and political capital in kicking that can down the road so it doesn't hurt his own elections. There is an enormous chance, barring enormous events, that it will trash Dems next cycle.