2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think that the unpopular aspects will be changed with Dems crossing over.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does anyone know who was the last President to issue less executive orders per year in office than Barack Obama?

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'll just skip ahead and say that the Titanic only had one leak.

4. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Its not the number of executive orders, but the manner in which they are used and how they impact society. Does executive orders re-write existing laws or do they infringe on the rights of citizens without checks and balances?
    Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program only encouraged the mass over flow of children at the mexican border and brought with it the Enterovirus D-68 that has killed and paralyzed american children. Delaying the mandates of the ACA is a unilateral re-writing of the law in which he was sworn to execute and uphold.
    By far the worst executive action was internment camps during World War II by Roosevelt. That would be impeachable had Bush interred all Muslims after 9/11. The one that wont be disputed was the Emancipation by Lincoln.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Enterovirus-D-68 has been in the US since at least 1987. This claim of yours smacks of xenophobia. If that is the best you got, you're going to need to find a dumber person to sell it to.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It had multiple leaks, actually. Several bulkheads were ripped open. The answer is Grover Cleveland.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If he pushes immigration through without the economy booming, there will be huge blow back.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've been informed that we desperately need more STEM folks. No one seems to care that we actually produce more than there is demand.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

according to the study you posted demand is up 30% while the number of college grads in those majors is up somewhere from 10-15%.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think there's enough STEM folks to alter an election. However with low wage workers viewing immigration as a threat to their jobs, it would be a huge voting block.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

drain on our govt resources is a far bigger problem.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

generally speaking h1b workers are exactly the sort of immigrants we want to be coming into this country. same can't be said for illegal immigrants now that supply is over demand by a large margin.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

According to the study we don't have a STEM shortage. Cherry pick and twist all you want. I don't give a ****.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well wouldn't that argue we would have one without the h1b program?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not advocating its dissolution, I'm questioning its expansion.

16. volinbham

volinbham Member

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

gotcha. seems reasonable to me.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

They don't have sources/links/data to support their biggest claims. Example: "When answering a survey and asked to choose which party they identify with, independents may cite one party over another, but for many swing voters that preference shifts from election to election." Proof? Citation? Anecdote? No, nothing.

Oh, well then. Despite what most experts think, there are a few who disagree. Convincing.

And there it is. Her book, The Swing Vote. The criticism from the majority of political scientists is that a particular swing voter tends to vote the same way more often than not, election after election. And thus isn't really much of a "swing vote." Campaign enthusiasm seems to play a large role into which swing voters come out and vote, but individual voting tendencies aren't actually doing the swinging. She's done nothing to refute or challenge this notion. She avoids it like she's never even considered it.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Makes sense. Seems logical that swing voters might lean one way or another, but also might not vote if they aren't properly motivated meaning they really do "swing" elections. i.e. a republican leaning swing voter might have been fed up with bush and decided not to vote, while a democrat leaning swing voter might have been invigorated by Obama and vote despite not doing so for Kerry or Gore or whatever. while true die hards vote no matter what. just a theory. . . of course I do know some people who voted for bush and then voted for Kerry and Obama and then voted for Romney. . . not a lot, but some

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly, droski. And yes, there a few who don't follow this mold.