Obama: Maybe it's time for mandatory voting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 19, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't for a second believe that the number of people who vote who don't have IDs is larger than the number of people who vote twice in different polling places, vote under someone else's name, can't legally vote but do it anyway, take their dead mothers absente ballot and vote, etc. It's very hard to live in this country as a functioning member of society (which people who vote generally are) without some sort of id. it's extremely easy to do all the things I just listed. hell I've been registered at two different voting places accidently MULTIPLE times in my life despite informing California I've moved.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't think the sort of scum who would do that really cares about elections that much.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they are doing it because they care about elections. there are tons of crazy ass people around.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw I've had people brag to me they do shit like this.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. I'm skeptical that it is a serious problem.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I very much doubt it has effected national or state elections. I'm sure it was swayed some small local ones. I still feel it's reasonable for us to know the person who registered to vote is the same person actual voting.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is reasonable too, but you need to have a way to do so that is 100 % accessible to every peculiar case of citizen. Someone who is a shut-in needs to be able to have an ID, else you are infringing on their rights. Maybe there could be an ID on wheels system. Or a mail-in system to get one.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems to me if they can leave the house to vote they can leave the house to go to the dmv

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly. The faux outrage behind that fight is interesting.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  10. Beechervol

It can be done. Both of what you listed are viable options. Some of which is in use to keep or update card IDs.

11. Beechervol

I absolutely agree that its political, both ways. No different than why the Ds don't want it. They perceive it as an issue on election day.

Do you believe the only instances of fraud (in general for that matter) are the ones that are found.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Leif Jeffers lost a regional election because of those votes.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, then you would be incorrect in your belief. There was a study shown that about 11% of the voting population don't have IDs. The number of fraud cases is exceptionally smaller to almost non-existent. It's also fairly easy to live without an ID for a portion of the population.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes......

To all of it.

15. JayVols

I don't have an issue with this in theory, and I don't think there is a voter fraud issue at all. It would be even better if there was some way to produce them and mailing them without having to go to a location and having said picture made. Not sure how it would be done though. I guess the NSA could help.....

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've seen 11% of the population, not voting population, or by voting population do you mean people eligible to vote? where's the evidence these same people are voting? what job can you have where you can live without an ID? what public assistance can you get without an ID? my wife's 104 grandmother doesn't have a current ID, but she isn't voting either.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I personally know people who vote more than once. I'm not suggesting it's the crime of the century, but it happens. outside of the extreme elderly I don't see what the big deal is with going to an actual location to get a picture made.

18. JayVols

I'm not claiming it's non-existent. It's just so minute that it is insignificant.

Would I like for there to be no fraud? Sure, but you'll never 100% eradicate it.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

20. JayVols

As to the issue of going somewhere for a photo, you are the product of an urban environment. Not a thing wrong with that, but in rural areas, it's not always a simple task for everyone.