Obama: Maybe it's time for mandatory voting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 19, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes I read it. once again. if 75% of people accused of smoking pot got exonerated would that mean no one actually smokes pot?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NSA Tracking Device

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Have the cellular system for that

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Already in place.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, essentially, you've created an unassailable argument in that, no matter what the examination of it is, there's always the unknown element that isn't, and can't, be accounted for, but exists?

6. Unimane

First paragraph of that link:

"We found no evidence of fraudulent vote casting or vote buying, even in the states most contested in the Presidential campaign. We also found that states with strict voter ID laws are no different from others in the (non) existence of fraudulent voting. Based on this evidence, strict voter ID requirements address a problem that did not exist in the 2012 US election."

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Do we really know what that is?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you disagree that it's unquantifiable?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If you read it they disregarded a percentage of the results because they thought they must have rushed through the survey. And the margin of error was high. So basically they found voter fraud and disregarded the results because they were looking disprove voter fraud . Read it

10. Unimane

Read it. Your summary here doesn't quite jibe with what they wrote or you have a pretty selective and self-serving analysis of this interpretation. Plus, you chose one aspect of one of the many studies and determined that this one must be the correct one, as you interpret it.

11. Unimane

To a perfect degree? Probably not. But, it's certainly possible to make a qualified analysis if whether or not it's a problem. I'm saying that you are trying to create some kind of "everybody knows" argument that has no real basis in fact or reality.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is the only study that involved a survey. every other one is looking into cases of voter fraud.

and how is that my interpretation?

Nevertheless we still observed thirteen respondents
    in the control group (2.5%) and twelve respondents in the treatment group (2.5%) claiming
    to have participated in the maximum four and ve activities, respectively

In other words, most of those choosing the maximum value in the list experiments, whether
    in the treatment or control groups appear to be rushing to complete the survey as fast as
    possible, not revealing actual behaviors. If we omit the eight individuals reporting
    \5" but
    clearly rushing to nish the survey then the (unweighted) lower bound on the prevalence of
    casting a fraudulent vote falls under 1%.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no, I'm suggesting your theory that it's clearly far less than 1% of the vote is incorrect. I agree it's not a huge problem. I disagree it never happens.

14. Unimane

The problem is that I have actual research on my side instead of "I know two people...".

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would mean it isn't as popular as some claim. I know it isn't as popular in Colorado or even Denver as outside perception of it is. It is just not underground here.

16. Unimane

That was just one point they made and you missed the part where they said it was obvious they were filling in the survey in that manner because every answer was the same, just like a kid rushing to get through the ACT and marking "c", among other things.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you do not have actual research on your side. the only research you have posted that actually attempts to get a real number showed 2.5%.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You bring up an interesting point, but keep in mind those sample sizes are woefully inadequate statistically.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've already conceded I don't think it's a huge problem. under no circumstances do I think it's "significantly" less than 1% of the vote though.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes shocking that they decided that the results that didn't meet their premise are invalid.