Obama: Maybe it's time for mandatory voting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Mar 19, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

requiring a photo ID would get rid of most of it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does this mean no more mail in voting?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

surely we can find ways around it. we do it for passports.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Bingo! Passport Card.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Droski, if members here were ranking members of the 2 parties I am sure we could work something out. Just have to balance IDs with voter turnout

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's a problem as well and probably where a decent percentage of the fraud comes from. we can issue an unique ID for people wanting to absentee. similar to filing electronic taxes.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no chance in hell.

9. Unimane

Why? Just because you believe it to be so or you have a couple of anecdotal pieces of evidence? Sorry, I'm going with the actual studies on this one and they definitely bear this one out.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what studies could possibly be done to prove what % of votes are cast by people who aren't the voter of record? you are only talking about the people convicted of it. that's like saying only 1% of the population smokes weed by looking at the arrest records.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yeah. There's a significant number of folks that don't leave the state much less the country where I live. And I'm 20 minutes from the Virginia line, an hour from the NC line and and hour and a half from the KY line. Hell, there's more folks than you would ever believe that never leave the county where they live.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. Unimane

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which contradicts my point how exactly?

from one of the papers in that article:

Measuring the extent of voter impersonation is extremely difficult. It is not something
    that we can directly observe, apart from criminal investigations and prosecutions. Voters
    would be unlikely to advertise the fact that they voted illegally,5 and those who commit
    fraud have every incentive to conceal it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think having national ID cards could be useful for more than voting, now that I think about it. Just have to figure a way for everyone to have one.

And who says they necessarily have to be picture-based? Couldn't we use some biometric, like having a chip in the cards with finger print data and then presenting your card and providing a finger print scan? That's more secure than pictures. If we're going to go, let's go all out.

Could tie it to all federal systems, to be used to access national parks at a discount, jury duty, any federal aid ranging from WIC to federal disaster aid, etc.

16. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

It should be a one card for every thing type if deal.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You said he was only talking about people who were convicted of it. The studies included people/situations accused of being fraudulent that turned out to be legitimate, which was hte majority of the time. So no, the studies are not only looking at conviction numbers but also exoneration and vote accounting error. Did you read it?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Forgot social security. Fold that in too.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Civil Service, I'm sure we'll keep adding to the list.