Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Oh well, at least I have more job security now.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Haven't they said that you can't impose a penalty but that they have to go to the gov. run program. I Think thats how I understood it.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It will be great to see the right wing mongoloids who have acted as if Roberts is the second coming of Learned Hand go crazy about this decision.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That would be absurd. A mandate without a penalty for noncompliance is no mandate at all.

5. Oldvol75

Its very confusing at this point. It may not be as big as victory as Obama may have wanted. The parts of it keeps changing as they continue to digest it.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

"For us to say that you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase." - Obama

7. Oldvol75

Should become a bigger part of the election now.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I am stunned that it was upheld (kudos to Law and the rest for calling it).

This is a triumphant decision for President Obama, and his re-election campaign. Politically, there is no other way to see it, whatsoever.

As an opponent of the law, I can take solace in two things:

1. Our system of checks and balances was played out, fully, and to the point of conclusion. I don't like the result, but I am satisfied with the ruling.
    2. Any fear of Chief Justice Roberts' partisanship (as it affects his ruling) should never again be a source of speculation.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Unbelievable. Perhaps he should go testify to the SC they can strike this down.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is the worst case. not only are we offering healthcare to everyone no matter what their health for the SAME PRICE, but we there will be no penalties if you don't get insurance. So I can not pay for 20 years, smoke like a chimney, get cancer, sign up for this sucker, and i still pay the same as a healthy 22 year old. Unbelievable. And frankly why the hell WOULDN'T you do that?

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm all kinds of confused right now. So it's obviously upheld but no punative action can be taken for states that do not wish to play. The only thing I'm understanding right now is that we'll be shelling out more $. About right?

12. Oldvol75

Are you saying that Obama lied? (snicker)

13. Tenacious D

That seems to be a "suggestion", doesn't it? The differences that lie between "shall" and "may" or even "should" can be mountainous.

14. Oldvol75

Thats pretty much how this non lawyer sees it.

15. Tenacious D

I would hope that any nominee, of any President, would similarly fail the partisanship standard.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the way it reads. the govt can tax the individual person for not buying healthcare, but it can't impose any penalties if they don't pay the tax.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This all sounds like the insurance companies won't be able to survive and UHC is now inevitable.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So essentially we're left with this

1. Insurance is mandatory.
    2. If I don't have insurance, I have to pay a tax.
    3. The govt can do nothing to me for not paying the tax.
    4. I can get sick, sign up for insurance, I have to be approved, and pay no more than if I had it my entire life.
    5. I can cancel insurance and go back to paying nothing.

Am I reading this right?

19. Oldvol75

To paraphrase an old Baptist hymn, "I shall not pay, I shall not pay" From the Hymn, "I Shall Not Be Moved".

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Surely that isn't accurate.