Penn State to offer James Franklin

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

To his credit - the reason they lowered these standards were solely due to Franklin. He knows how to play that game and get what he wants from the school.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Also there's a huge meltdown on Vandy scout board - they are claiming he is such a fraud and a fake if he leaves and that Vandy is a better job in almost every aspect.

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Lots of people here wanted Charlie Strong as the UT coach after the 2012 season, that season Strong lost to Syracuse and UCONN. SYRACUSE !...UCONN !

4. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Exactly. Well said.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Basically football's version of Bruce Pearl as far as motivating goes.

6. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

This isn't a surprise. Every school who loses a coach to another school has fans that meltdown over this. I think what Vandy fans know is that when Franklin does leave, they go back to the bottom.

I would've loved to whip his ass at least one more time, but I'm going to be glad to not have to hear everyone sing his praises in Nashville anymore.

The butthurt Vandy fans can go buy merchandise for their team-of-the-month again. Probably be a run on Auburn and FSU merchandise in the near future.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's only getting NFL interviews so teams can say they've met the Rooney Rule

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Charlie Strong has a better resume than Butch Jones

9. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

You can pick apart any candidate. I think that Franklins' teams pass the eye test,they overachieve and he is producing results.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think old Bobby J. was good enough to get by Wake a time or two. Beating a team that got rid of the head coach is never too impressive. Otherwise, Glen Whatshisface would still by at Wyoming.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I believe Syracuse's coach took a head coaching job in the NFL after that season.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Also - they seem to be oblivious to the fact that Franklin is from Pennsylvania and went to college in Pennsylvania as well.

14. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Maybe Penn State should hire Kevin Wilson the coach from Indiana, he beat Bill O'Brien this year, and O'Brien is now a NFL head coach.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

16. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

What kills me is their fans think it is a slap in the face he would choose Penn State over Vanderbilt. It is as if they forgot they cannot sell out a 40K stadium, or you know, win a conference championship.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Dude was earning his keeps last night.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Wait. He's actually black?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think you realize that you were the one making a big deal about single games, not me, otherwise you probably wouldn't be making fun of your own point.

20. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

How do they overachieve when the only win against a bowl eligible team was against a depleted GA? Go back and look at this year alone, and you can do it for last year, too. Out of conference was Austin Peay, UMass, Wake and UAB. All had losing records overall and in conference. Vandy went 4-4 in the conference this year. Their 4 losses in conference were all to bowl eligible teams, the SEC East Champion (Ole Miss, USCe, Texas A&M and Mizzou), and these teams were ranked at some point throughout the season. TN, GA and FL had a combined win total of 17 (GA accounts for 8 of those), and GA was depleted with injuries. That's three of their conference wins, the other being to KY.

I'm not denying that Franklin has exceeded expectations at Vandy, because he has without question. However, to say that his teams overachieve, based on the numbers above, is not accurate. The results are truly what should be happening. If he wasn't beating TN/FL/GA in those situations, then there would be cause for concern. But they are not overachieving.

That's not overachieving. That's called someone finally started scheduling wins out of conference instead of money games (Michigan/Notre Dame/etc). Couple that with Jay's point on lowering academic standards and you got yourself a winning team.