POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

England became British when Scotland's king became king of England too, hence all of the island of Britain. happened in the late 17th century

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Does that mean Scottish independence means England has to go back to being English, not British?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

in the context of the United kingdom being synonymous with British, yes.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I already posted a link that said northern states ended it by 1804. If you'd like to provide resources that suggest otherwise, I'd be happy to read them. I'm just going off of what I read.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I already answered this question. I'm not answering it again.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Link? Are you not counting serfdom as a form of slavery?

7. fl0at_

In 1772, it was ruled in Somerset v Stewart that there was no legal basis in English law for slavery. And as such, had no standing in law.

8. fl0at_

You answered it with an opinion piece, to counter a legal mandate. That seems dumb. I was giving you a chance to present something not dumb.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Few of the northern states ended slavery immediately. Most had some sort of gradual emancipation and, as a result, there were thousands of legal slaves in the north up through the 1830s and pushing into the 1840s. Here's a good resource which explains it well.

http://www.civildiscourse-historyblog.com/blog/2017/1/3/when-did-slavery-really-end-in-the-north

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And serfdom?

11. fl0at_

How is serfdom different from Vermont's indentured servitude? If you want to include that, then Vermont's timeline is pushed back well into the 1800s.

12. fl0at_

This is getting to be a bit like Auburn and its mascots.

justingroves likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So you’re saying that slavery ended in Spanish territories with that legal mandate in 1811?

Card’s link confirmed the date for Cuba.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You have the United Kingdom. Within it, there are four countries (yes, countries) within the UK. Of those, 3 make up Great Britain- the biggest island in the British Isles (England, Wales, and Scotland). Northern Ireland is in the British Isles, but is not on the island of Great Britain. The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are dependencies of the United Kingdom.

It is very much like Auburn and its mascots, and it is why we were wise to tell them to [uck fay] off.

15. fl0at_

I think Cuba rebelling doesn't mean Spain didn't end it in 1811, anymore than the southern states rebelling doesn't mean the US didn't end it with the emancipation proclamation. The CSA wasn't the US.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Brought what on themselves?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

To quote the great Ted Lasso, “How many countries are in this country?”

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Link?

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was Cuba a Spanish colony past 1811? Did slavery continue in Cuba past 1811? Are we still counting colonies as part of the country, or are we moving the goalposts.

Uni just pointed out slavery continuing in the north even after it was outlawed. Where do those fall?

20. fl0at_

A link on what indentured servitude is, or that Vermont had it?

Um, ok, here is a Vermont law school professor providing a brief to the Vermont legislature.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/Doc...Indentured Servitude in Vermont~2-20-2019.pdf

I think the important part here is this:

It is also important to note that Article 1 of Vermont's constitution that allowed for indentured servitude was superceded by the 13th Amendment, and not before. So... 1865. Thus, until then, Vermont's constitution allowed for the buying and selling of people, but only up to a certain age.