POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This makes no sense?

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It depends; did he answer any questions or was that his answer to everything. If that were his answer to everything then it could have been his protest against being there. I complied with your subpoena, here I am. But you ain't getting jack shit from me.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not sure. Seems strange to do that if you have nothing to hide. I would just tell the truth.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, if pleading the 5th seems strange, there you go.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I personally don't like it if you have nothing to hide. I see why lawyers advise their clients sometimes to do it because they might say something that can be taken out of context, especially in a financial trial. A lawyer however pleading the fifth in a criminal trial just seems odd. Just tell the truth. Really in all cases just telling truth should be the way to go.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is hard to believe. But then again, so is a blue Georgia.

justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

When Biden was running the proposition was basically anything but what we’ve got right now. Right now I think we’re seeing it again in reverse to some extent.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Washington isn't going for Trump. Lots of voters in the undecided group in these polls and Democrats have been overperforming in recent elections. There's a lot to hash out and there's a large segment of the population not real excited for any candidate.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I definitely don't think it will go his way but to think he even has the slightest chance is wild.

13. Unimane

He doesn't. It's as quixotic as the quadrennial Democrat thinking of stealing Texas.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Democrats are trying to take Texas by moving in democratics. Are more Republicans moving to Washington?

15. HCKevinSteele

I think the odds are very remote, remote enough that it’s basically fair to say he doesn’t have a chance. But for two seconds let’s ignore his prospects of winning, the theoretical path for him to win, etc.

He’s almost certainly going to pull 45% of the vote, likely closer to 50%. Given everything that’s transpired that alone is just wild. It truly is a travesty that these are the two options we have. Both fundamentally unfit for the job.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If that were really a strategy that could be executed, Wyoming and the Dakotas would be blue instantly, locking the R's out of Senate control ever. But it is not. It is a conspiracy to hand-wave away all the things that happen in Texas that people don't like (not to say there aren't things happening in Texas people do like, too).

More people identify as Democrat than Republican in Texas, but there is a large independent segment that tends to lean right.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religious-landscape-study/database/state/texas/party-affiliation/

17. Unimane

Democrats aren't moving anyone, migration occurs as does certain population segments moving politically in one direction or the other. Suburban women moving towards Dems, for example, in the last few elections.

But, one poll isn't particularly meaningful. There's nothing to really suggest movement in Washington to Trump. This is kind of a weird election to play out since both guys aren't very popular. I have a hard time buying this will be any other than the last few elections where a collection of the usual suspect purple states swing the election one way or the other. The last time we had a truly shocking result in the electoral college of a Washington turning red was Obama winning Indiana in 2008. I don't see it happening here.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

People don't move based on how they can affect the Electoral College. Do people seriously believe that's a thing?

19. HCKevinSteele

That is not what Zehr suggested

20. Unimane

There's only one poll in the state which even has Trump within single digits and it's this one. If the remote chance is there, it's because we're looking at a 1984 or 1972 type result.

I do find this election to be manifestly disheartening. I'm more positive on Biden's performance than most here, but still find the options this cycle profoundly disappointing and greatly disturbing to have Trump with a real shot at winning this one.