OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

im in cape san blas and no idea what time it is going on 2 days. Part is cst. Part est and we sprang forward so I went to get donuts at what I thought was 730 and it was actually 930 and they were closed.

justingroves likes this.
  2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

See, it's even [uck fay]ing with our donuts. DST must go.

warhammer likes this.
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I will be tired from now until November. Give me my hour back, and stop the cycle.

justingroves, IP and gcbvol like this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ah, more presidential bliss -

gcbvol likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m pretty sure that’s an actual photo of George Washington

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. gcbvol

It's dumb as all [uck fay].

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you're on the west side of a time zone standard time makes sense. If you're on the eastern edge of a timezone DST is far superior. They really need to just redraw the timezones tbh.

8. gcbvol

I'm down with that as long as they align more closely with the sun cycle.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you proposing more, small timezones?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same question as to him.

Assuming a sphere and 24 hour rotation, this is a math thing.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Surely you have this backwards? I'm a couple of hours drive or less from the eastern edge of the Central, and I have no use for it.

12. gcbvol

Ugh, this is tough. More time zones better aligned with the sun would likely be better from a human health perspective, but a practical nightmare which might cancel out any good.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't know just shift them by half or something. I'm on the eastern edge of the Central Time zone. Standard time is dog shit. Give me DST all day or move me to the eastern timezone with standard time all year.

14. gcbvol

Yeah, after re-reading I think it is backwards. The goal should be for the time zone be as closely aligned with sunrise as possible.

warhammer likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you don't want true noon, you want late light. You can see how someone is going to miss out on that no matter how you shift things.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it never really bothered me at all either way. I’m kind of a night owl so I don’t like going forward as much

10SEvols likes this.
  17. gcbvol

This is not a knock, JQK, but you might be the most unbothered person I know. There are so many similar comments from you on a number of topics. You are reliable.

justingroves and IP like this.
  18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It's why my sleep schedule is go to bed 2-3ish and wake up 9-10. Doesn't matter what time of year I go to sleep or wake up, the sun is always down when I go to sleep and it's always up when I wake up.

Poppa T and gcbvol like this.
  19. gcbvol

Here's the thing. Our circadian rhythms (along with most all other biologic life on the planet) are driven by the sun cycle. This means our waking and sleeping are driven by the sun. If we regularly wake when it's dark and sleep when it isn't, our internal clocks/functions are thrown off. This can lead to numerous health issues. Year round DST would be very bad from a health perspective.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Hardly anyone gets true noon as it is now. So no I don't want what I'm already not getting. I want an extra hour of light in the evening, in stead of leaving work at 530 in the dark.

10SEvols likes this.