OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I can’t deny it

gcbvol likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve always been bothered by suffrage. Especially that of women

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Time change doesn't bother me that much. I enjoy the changes because it evens out the daylight hours so I have more night day light yet still am not in the dark at 9am.

I guess I am in the minority

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not telling you that you are wrong. I used to think it would be better to end daylight savings. Now I think it is probably better to just make it permanent. But really the most important thing is that we quit changing clocks.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lol, the first week I was in Germany, I awoke panicked each day because the sun was up and bright at 5AM. The first morning was obviously the worst. I jumped out of bed and rushed to shower before looking at my phone and realizing my alarm was still set for an hour from them. I had that feeling for close to a week before I got used to it. I never truly got used to how much light there was in summer, but that has more to do with the latitude than DST.

gcbvol likes this.
  6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

We definitely need to stop the changing, but standard is the way to go. DST will keep our bodies out of sync and lead to a more unhealthy population. Permanent DST wouldn't last, imo. Too many issues. Mother Nature always wins. Always.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless you are going to enact a WW2 style "lights out" time, DST vs indoor lighting and blue lights of screens is a wash. My thinking on DST being permanent is that it will get buy-in from people who are adamant on wanting later daylight, and could also reduce total electricity use thus limiting light pollution and reducing GHG emissions (I speculate on the last one, never read that). More businesses open at 10 AM and close late than open at 7:00 AM and close early.

8. gcbvol

Okay, if permanent DST means business/school days begin at 930-10AM then that could work. And fair point on blue light.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You understand that even without DST, you wouldn't be doing that today, the second day of DST?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not sure what people are expecting on a round planet with a tilt, above the tropics

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Works good the way it is now. It’s only supposed to take one day to adjust to a new hour time zone change, so I don’t think it’s some huge hurdle.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well I was supposed to be rich by now, and that's proven false.

justingroves likes this.
  13. gcbvol

Surprised. I thought for sure you'd see the faults of DST. We all have to make temporary adjustments, but 2/3 of the year in an artificially constructed day is a much different deal. Very unhealthy.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t love it but I also don’t want sunrise at 9 or 10 in the morning either

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is artificial about it, other than the very nature of clocks being artificial?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

gcb... An hour is a cultural construct. We invented calendars and hours to help us manage days and years as observed patterns of the rotation and revolution of the Earth on an axial tilt. Changing the time is not unhealthy. Changing patterns can cause a temporary problem in terms of increased accidents, but it isn't a problem for 2/3 of the year. There is not more or less light because of DST. There is significant difference based on latitude but no one says it is healthier to live in Puerto Rico than Maine.

17. gcbvol

We are not saving or expanding 'daytime' at all. We are simply taking an hour from the morning and shifting it to afternoon by way of our timekeeping.

It wouldn't be as big a deal if we shifted our business days along with it, but we don't. The artificial piece is our changing the clocks to give us the sunlight outcome we want. It's a constructed 'day'.

I get folks enjoying more sunlight in the evening, but there is a cost. We might mentally adjust, but our bodies never do.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

So me waking up at 6 on Wednesdays and Thursdays but at 7 every other day is bad for me, in your view? Never mind that I go to sleep after midnight, let's pretend I always go to bed by 11.

19. gcbvol

I get all of that. I still argue intentionally shifting our wake/sleep cycle in order to pretend we're getting more daytime is unhealthy. It [uck fay]s with our circadian rhythms and that's a fact.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah, I'm referring to standard time hell, particularly in winter.