Today I learned

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A lot of us are teachers or students. Post cool things you learn in here, and we will all gain random (probably useless), but still interesting knowledge.

Last night at my Dante book club, I learned that pelicans were often displayed on 14th and 15th century crosses as a symbol of Christ in nature. As the story goes, mother pelicans kick their young ones out of the nest if they misbehave. Then, in order to give them nourishment, the mother pecks her breast until it bleeds, and the young ones feed on her blood. Similarly, God kicks us out of the nest when we misbehave, but we are saved by the blood of Christ.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Jesus, Indy.

Quit fighting it. Your parents will still love you.

JayVols likes this.
  3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"Dante book club"

seriously?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can say that I know a few guys who went the Hampden-Sydney and none of them ever talk about poetry or their Dante Book Club. Must be a Wabash thing.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

If you take Wayne Gretzky's highest assist total for a season (163) it ranks tied for the 11th most points in a season in NHL history (He also scored 52 goals that year, for the NHL record of 215 points in the season). The only seasons better than that are 8 seasons by Wayne Gretzky and 2 by Mario Lemieux.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh come the **** on. I thought this was a good one.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. We have a professor here that is really into Medieval and Renaissance Europe, and has lots of connections over in Florence and Siena. He's one of those old dudes (graduated from here in '66) that is like an encyclopedia on certain subjects, and Dante is one of those. So we read the Divine Comedy this semester, and met once a week for him to explain important points to us. It was awesome.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Go on

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

10. InVolNerable

Do you hide your poetry books inside of Playgirls while reading to lessen the homosexual aura you give off?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you and him were the only males in attendance right?

12. OrangeEmpire

Awesome, what stuff did you discuss?

What was a wtf moment?

13. OrangeEmpire

Stop it, I read poetry.

I text NYY for money shots

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm fairly certain when gbc reads this thread, he's doing to rethink his own sexuality. No way is he this gay.

15. InVolNerable

Roses are read
    Violets are blue
    Poetry sucks
    and fvck you

16. OrangeEmpire

Thats not poetry ass hole.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bwaaahahahaha!

18. OrangeEmpire

Indy, Im here bro. Pooch and kat are with us.

19. InVolNerable

Talk about a lineup of All-Stars..

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No.

No.

Way too much to discuss.

One of my favorite parts: the intro to canto XV of Inferno. I don't have my book on me, but it talks about walls that were built there, and how they were similar to walls built in France (I believe) to prevent certain lands from flooding. The point in France was to free up more fertile farm land to feed the growing population. Dante put the comparison in Hell to show that Sodomites take a fertile process (sex) and make it barren. It was a really good comparison.

Wtf moment: Ripheus, a very minor character from the Aeneid, in a prominent role in Paradiso. There are a lot of wtf moments, though, and it's one of the key themes. You go through inferno, and you think all the pagans are in limbo, and all the suicides are in hell, and so forth. Then you get to purgatory and heaven and realize there are pagans and suicides there as well. The point: there are some things about God we can never truly understand.