Today I learned

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've learned that when my wife says something is supposed to start at 545, she really means 630.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I've learned that writing data validation scenarios and test scripts for an analytics tool with multiple hierarchical dimensions can lead to migraines, and a possible breakdown.

3. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I know. Kat brings the whole team down with her Mendoza-level posts.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm considering getting my phd in English. Will that make me even more gay?

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Here's some more for you:

Always add at least one full hour to any time Volguy says he'll be somewhere.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Reading this and trying to figure out what the hell you said does too.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Only if you keep taking advantage of the professors.

I felt the same way.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Lol.

9. PoochPunt3rdDown

Probably doesn't help your cause with these jackals, but I find it admirable.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What do you want to do for a living?

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Men?

High five!

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Time to lock the thread. Game over.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm considering doing an independent study with a professor next year over Russian novels. I'd read your boy Dostoevsky.

I'm hoping to apply with the FBI. I've considered becoming an English professor or trying to become an author. I've also considered joining the Air Force. Why do you ask?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Solid.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think he's implying you might have problems finding gainful employment

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh, no doubt. I'd only go to grad school if I got into a great program. I'm considering UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Cornell, IU, and a few others. Any of those would be helpful in becoming a professor. Wouldn't hurt the FBI thing either.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Don't know about the others, but ucla will pay you to go there is you teach. Not a bad deal. So will cal btw. Of course you are still basically living in poverty. Getting an English prof job is pretty hard, but at least you wouldn't put yourself in debt doing it. Oh and also you'll be like the only male in the dept.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  18. PoochPunt3rdDown

I suppose the intellegensia would say it is Ullyses by Joyce (although I feel A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man is greater and has the best title of any artwork, ever), but many would say that War & Peace is the greatest novel of all time.

His talent was as vast as Russia. War & Peace (the 2nd most well named piece of art) mirrors its subject nation in its complexity, size, and relentlessness. Hell, Tolstoy himself was immovable in his staunch beliefs.

And Dostoevsky was a better writer. Those two alone make the Russians the best authors. I never really liked Nabokov.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'd agree, but if I got my degree from any of those programs I listed, I'm sure I'd find a job. And yeah, a lot of programs pay your way through English grad school, which is nice. Wouldn't be considering it if that weren't the case.

Anna Karenina is considered the best by many, I believe. Regardless, they definitely have a lot of top notch stuff.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tenny is Tolstoy reincarnated. Both men can say in 1000 words what most can say in 100.