Proposed CFB rule change

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've explained it more than once as well. Why can't you grasp it?

Again, football is meant to be played as a strategy game. The offense is supposed to strategize a way to score a touchdown, and the defense is supposed to strategize a way to stop them. If the defense is not allotted any time between the break of the huddle and the snap to properly line up, you are going against the way the game is supposed to be played. You can't even call out a formation strength, let alone adjust to it, in less than two seconds. It's not possible.

Defense don't just line up wherever they damn well please, kid. As I have said so many times, they line up properly based on the offensive formation. This type of huddle completely prevents them from doing that, and that's not how football was meant to be played. Hell, even in a fast paced no huddle offense with a script, the defense has an idea of what to expect and can see how the formation gets set up as the rest of the offensive players run back to the line.

Please tell me you get it this time. I'm tired of explaining it.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Come on man. There's a difference between "being in the proper defensive set and position" and "just lining up and playing." The first one works sometimes. The second one rarely does.

What, you thought they were just going to continue standing there with their hands on their hips and their backs turned? At that point you just have to play, which is what seems unfair in my mind.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I always thought defensive guys were supposed to be tough, not whiny sandy vaginas that need special secretion control.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Offenses already have so many advantages as it is. Why do they need more?

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they line up and snap it that quick, they're limited pretty much to the same formation. I don't see this as being a big issue. The defense should have scouted the team to learn their habits and plan to attack accordingly.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How does the speed at which they line up and snap it limit their formation?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My question is why it's ok in the final minutes but not the rest of the game

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Two minute drills are for the most part quick passes outside the hashes.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They aren't huddling in two minute drills.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not sure why that matters. either way the defense has to be prepared for what they think the offense is going to do in that situation.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure why everyone is struggling with this concept.

Yes, but the offense is also limited. The clock limits their playcalling mostly to passes, and not huddling limits their ability to strategize and make sure everyone is on the same page.

When time isn't a factor and the team can huddle, literally ANY play becomes a possibility. The situations are completely different.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So does the no huddle reduce the playbook or keep it wide open? You're inconsistent in this area.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not nearly as in depth as a regular no huddle blur style offense. Every team has a two minute offense and it consists of out routes and a guy going up the seam.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, I think you're just not reading what I'm saying. We are comparing the Auburn quick huddle to a no huddle, 2 minute offense. The offensive playbook is limited during a no huddle, 2 minute offense. The offensive playbook is not limited in Auburn's quick huddle offense.

The defense is limited in both.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So Auburn huddling for 7 seconds means they're whole playbook is open, but running a no huddle and standing at the line for 7-10 seconds greatly reduces the available plays? Seems like they have the same limitation on getting a play called in a small amount of time.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

most of these offenses don't have nearly as many formations and options as a pro style offense. simplicity is what leads to fast play.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

My favorite part:

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Exactly he basically admits his problem with it is that it's difficult to defend. If anything he just made me think every team without 20 5 stars should be running the hurry up