Proposed CFB rule change

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Depends on what you mean by "that offense". I wonder how he would have done with a more elusive guy (but definitely not a guaranteed 3 yards up the middle) like Alex Smith. Because, I think that's probably what he'd be more likely to find.

The buzz in Urban's last years was that he was trying to move toward a more conventional offense and thus the recruitment of a guy like Brantley. How much of that was BS, I have no idea.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And their recruiting rankings during that time indicate he probably had his choice from pretty much anyone in the country.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He did just fine with Alex Smith, and he's done just fine with Braxton Miller and Kenny Guyden.

4. kidbourbon

I'm not following you here. You said that any college or pro offense not named a service academy or Auburn would have more passing yards than rushing. I asked "why do you think that's the case" and you responded with the above.

5. kidbourbon

(not sure how I overlooked this gem)

Actually it is how the game was meant to be played. Start around 5:50. Hopefully this clears things up for you.

[video=youtube;eb20g1lHVFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb20g1lHVFU[/video]

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you throw the ball more times than you run the ball, you'll have more passing yards than rushing yards.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But he couldn't do it at Florida.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this video. Is it the whole "The offense has the advantage of knowing what play is going to be run and when it will begin" part? Cool? The video also says that the teams huddle. I haven't huddled in a defense for the last 8 years, and the offenses of the teams I have played on during that time period haven't huddled either. It also says "Both teams line up correctly" right before that 5:50 mark. The defense is supposed to have at least some sort of time to line up to the formation. A fast pace to test conditioning is one thing. Huddling right behind the LOS so you can turn around and immediately snap the ball before the defense can line up against your formation borders on an unfair advantage, in my mind. That's just not how the game was meant to be played.

It's similar to substitutions. When the offense substitutes, the defense is supposed to be allotted an amount of time to substitute the proper personnel as well. Otherwise, the offense could match heavy run sets against nickel and dime defenses, or 5 Wide sets against heavy defenses. The defense is given a chance pre play to line up the right package against the offensive personnel they see, so why shouldn't they be allowed at least some time to properly line up to the formation?

9. kidbourbon

Yes, that's true.

But you said that nearly every NFL and college team would have more passing yards than rushing yards in response to my example of Louisville having fewer passing attempts than rushing attempts and yet having twice as many passing yards than rushing yards.

10. kidbourbon

Yes.

11. kidbourbon

Oh, I'm sure he would have done just fine.

12. kidbourbon

The defense should be lined up when the ball is placed. If the offense has enough time to move to the LOS and snap the ball, then the defense had plenty of time to get lined up. And it isn't as if the offense can snap the ball on the run. They have to be set. I don't see how you can ever say the D didn't have time to line up. They had time. Sounds like they were lollygagging.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is a joke... Right? You realize the defense lines up based on various elements of the offensive formation, such as the number of backs, the strength of the formation, etc., right? You don't just line up wherever the hell you want. I hope you aren't serious on this one.

As I said, the way they line up is not arbitrary. They line up specifically based on the offense. If there are only two seconds between the break of the huddle and the snap, how is the defense supposed to make their strength calls and line up properly?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, you know that isn't true simply because offense has the initiative, and the defense has to recognize the personnel changes to match it (adding another step).

15. kidbourbon

(1)
    Serious as AIDS.

(2)
    Don't care.

16. kidbourbon

There's no personnel changes. The offense didn't sub, and so the defense can't sub. And, again, I can't stress this enough. They can't do running snaps. So as the O is lining up, just line the funk up.

All the cornerback has to do is follow the receiver as he walks out to the left. All the linemen have to do is line up in the gaps they normally line up in. The safety goes where he always goes. Hmm...I wonder where the middle linebacker will lineup?

Come on, how hard is this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  17. kidbourbon

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think you and I are communicating well on this. We seem to have a fundamental difference of opinion as to the nature of football. Going no huddle and going as fast as one can is fine, so long as the officials are not unfairly sprinting to aid the offense. Making any kind of substitution means snapping the ball should be prevented while the defense responds (these are the rules and have been, but they are not always enforced).

The disagreement we are having is perhaps a nuanced one. I'm telling you that the way football is played, the offense has the initiative and the defense must by the nature of the game be responding to the offense. If that is prevented by officials sprinting down to place the ball and not standing over the ball when substitutions are made (no matter how fast), that breaking the game.

I do not agree with changing the rules, I want the current ones enforced.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

And defenses lining up are a little more complicated than just knowing where the gaps are.

20. kidbourbon

In the example in question, I was of the opinion that no substitutions were made.

And if that's the case, then there is no rule against sprinting from the huddle to the LOS and snapping the ball as quickly as possible. Nor has there, to my knowledge, ever been such a rule. So if the offense chooses to do that, then that's exactly how the game was meant to be played. And it sounds like a decent strategy. I may start coaching football and run it exclusively.