Proposed CFB rule change

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Other QBs could have made that offense work, and in the SEC.

And Meyer's offense was considered VERY innovative at the time.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

More attempts at passing the ball tends to lead to more completions.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Urban had 4 years to recruit and found one guy to run his offense.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Urban's offense at UF had a lot of tweaks and differences than the one he ran at Utah. I'm not sure how well an Alex Smith-type QB would have done at UF.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Two, but the second ended up stealing a laptop.

Also, Urban's offense was also ultra-talented, which seems to have been used as an argument to invalidate or minimize the success of power offenses.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Trying to keep up while in class.

Tebow was successful as hell in college but not in the NFL, due largely to the fact that NFL defenses are bigger, faster and more athletic. Much faster DBs means tighter throwing windows. Bigger linebackers mean he can't truck people constantly. I'm not sure how you can argue that the NFL is not a different animal.

7. kidbourbon

Against Bama, they couldn't run the ball. The fact that they had 31 rushing attempts for 43 yards and 23 passing attempts for 241 yards tells me that they should fire their playcaller. Just like in the '08 season, when Tennessee played UCLA and Crompton couldn't throw the ball within 5 yards of a receiver, we should have run the ball exclusively.

LSU's other two losses could have gone either way, and it's hard to blame the UGA loss on an LSU offense that scored 41.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I believe Lsu's stats from 2012 show similar pass / run percentages to last year's team when looking at yards. Haven't looked at 2011, but I'd bet it's similar.

9. kidbourbon

Tebow couldn't throw the ball. Nothing else needs to be said. The only way Tebow was going to be successful in the NFL is if he was running the exact same offense he was at Florida. And for reasons I've already discussed at length, no NFL team was going to implement Urban Meyer's offense.

Tebow would have been a terrible college QB if he had been the QB of, say, USC or another team that required the QB to make accurate throws downfield.

Basically, Tebow was destined to fail. He doesn't have the skillset necessary to QB a pro-style offense, and that's the only type of offense he was gonna be running in the NFL, because that's all they got. The guy that drafted Tebow was just a complete damn fool.

10. kidbourbon

And he was only around one year after Tebow was gone, and he was mailing it in that year.

If you've convinced yourself Tebow is the only guy that could have made that offense work, then I'm not likely to persuade you otherwise. But I don't believe that's true at all.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It didn't work with Leak and it didn't work with Brantley (a guy Urban recruited).

Reality says it didn't work without Tebow.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As kpt said, Cam makes it work. Still, that's a very specific and rare breed of QB we are looking at

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To be fair he most likely found two but had trouble holding on to the second.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that and harvin and hernandez two all NFL pro talents. look what the offense did after harvin left. much worse.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. the threat of him running up the middle and getting a guaranteed 5 yards opened up the passing game. similar to vince young who also had excellent passing stats in college.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tebow running the read option in the NFL would have been terrible. People forget he had an advantage at the skill positions and OL in most of his games. In the more evenly matched NFL, he'd get stuff at the line a lot more, his receivers wouldn't be able to shake coverage for his crappy passes to not be picked/deflected, and he wouldn't have a guy with the kind of speed advantage Harvin/Rainey/Demps had.

17. kidbourbon

It was never going to work with Leak, and he didn't recruit Leak.

The fact that John Brantley sucked proves only that John Brantley sucked. I won't address this point again as I'm just beating a dead horse, but the notion that Tebow and Tebow alone could successfully run that offense falls somewhere between silly and quite silly, imo. I don't think there's any shortage of guys that could have succeeded as QB in that offense.

18. kidbourbon

The offense was definitely noticeably better when Harvin was there.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Except Urban couldn't find another one while he was UF.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And it's not like he recreated the wheel. He had ran a single wing with veer concepts with a simple passing game.