Proposed CFB rule change

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Well then they better simplify things, because Coach Kid's coming to town.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with pretty much everything you say here. The only other strategy I question is the Auburn method of huddling right behind the LOS and snapping the ball within 2 seconds of breaking the huddle. It's essentially the same thing as subbing without allowing the defense time to counter sub. Football is a game of strategy, and if the defense can't employ any strategy because the offense only gives them 2 seconds to line up, that seems unfair to me.

I agree with this statement exception would change "little" to "lot."

You are correct, there is no rule. I'm saying that if that stuff continues, I think a rule should be put in place. I'm fine with offenses speeding up the tempo, but 2 seconds is not enough time to line up a proper defense. It's just not.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is exactly the point I'm getting at. If the offense runs that type of huddle, it gives the defense no time to line up properly. Anyone, even you, a guy who obviously holds little knowledge of the intricacies of the game, could beat an out of position defense because it removes the strategy from the game. I'm all for just lining up and playing, but football is meant to be fair - i.e. if the offense gets to strategize, the defense should get a little more time to strategize as well.

4. kidbourbon

I didn't know the intricacies of Calculus* before I took it. Aced that [itch bay]. Don't sleep on Coach Kid.

*inter alia

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Doubt many complain about this when manning is running a 2 minute offense. If you can get a play in that quickly why shouldn't you be able to benefit from it? Why shouldn't the defense have to be ready too? As for the "time to line up" argument, it's not as though there is zero time between plays. I don't like the refs artificially speeding up the game, but once the ball is set you should be able to start the play.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Manning spends an inordinate amount of time at the line of scrimmage.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Not when there is 2 minutes in the clock

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The disadvantage there being that the offense is going to have a bit of their own confusion/incoordination by having to run to the line and run a play really fast, generally whatever is already scripted. The situation Indy is describing gives the offense the advantage of having the huddle with a little strategery time and also the defensive confusion element that goes along with a no huddle.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Nfl teams run the no huddle just as well as Oregon IMO. It's the college NFl offense teams that can't run the no huddle worth shit.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't understand how this pertains to my post.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why are you saying no huddle? Auburn huddles in the situation I presented. No huddle teams look to the sideline for signals of what plays to run. That takes time. Even if they have a specific script memorized, the time it takes them to get back to the line still gives the defense time to adjust, and memorization is more likely to lead to errors than talking it over in the huddle pre play.

And again, I note, this is a huddle situation I'm presenting. Show me another situation (video) where a team snaps the ball within 2 or 3 seconds of breaking a huddle.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBRYS2-PTo

Break the huddle at 7, guy is in motion by 9. There isn't enough time to adjust to the formation, which is something a defense wants to do every play, and I think they should be allowed to do it if the offense has time to strategize pre play.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So what? There's loads of time in the 2 minute that teams have 2 or 3 plays mapped out they run up to the line and snap without looking to the sideline. How is this any different? What about when the offense gets to the line so fast that there are still defensive players behind the line of scrimmage when the ball gets snapped?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Defenses most likely have similarly scripted set ups that they roll with in those situations as well because that's what they are, situations. The difference is that the offense is much more prone to mistakes in those situations than when they have time to huddle. Discussing a play in the huddle allows them to make sure everyone is on the same page while the defense remains in the same mentality of the "scripted situation."

It's cheap. Not technically unfair I suppose, but I'm inclined to believe it should be.

15. kidbourbon

You need to get over this, Indy. After watching this, it confirms what I initially suspected. The defense CLEARLY has sufficient time to get set and ready, but they chose to gaze confusedly over to the sideline with their hands on their hips rather than get in position. Hell, two receivers sprint out left at the 2 second mark, and it isn't until the 7 second mark that the CBs run over there after them. Auburn caught them napping. Simple as that.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Your posts are painful. Caught them napping? Jesus Christ, Kid.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'll add to this post by saying that the 2 minute situation limits the offense's play choices as well. If a team is running a scripted two minute offense, it's pretty safe to assume they are passing. Guesswork on defense is a lot easier when you know that the offense is passing.

18. kidbourbon

Oh hail no. I'm not the one who keeps whining about how a perfectly legal play "isn't how football was meant to be played". (1) WTF does that even mean? (2) How about you write that 7 or 8 more times, just to be sure everyone's read it.

How was football meant to be played, Indy? Should Auburn politely tell them which play is coming next while 43 stands there and puts out the vibe? Should Marshall be equipped with blinking LEDs on his uniform that flash yellow 3 seconds before the snap? Would a yellow flashing LED be any help to the CB who's sprinting across the field six seconds too late? And what about the LB under the 3 next to the "Auburn"? Should the OL have busted out with some Bonnie Tyler melodies -- "turn arooouuuuund" -- so that the game could be played "how it was meant to be played? I really look forward to your responses, as you really do seem to grasp the intricacies of the game. You know, like being ready to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kidbourbon

Or, alternatively....Jesus tittyfocking Christ, Indy.

That? That's what you've been writing about for five pages now?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh my God! What are they going to do? Auburn is ready to go and Mizzura isn't even facing the right way!

[​IMG]

Oh wait, one second later they are lined up. Idiot.