Is It Okay For People To Be Racist Privately?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 28, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

They can't force him to sell. They can punish him in other ways, but none of it is terribly hard-hitting.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can't stand Simmons on tv. His voice is terrible.

I can read grantland all day though.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And of course now he cares. He didn't care when he was getting nba product for half of the lakers cost. He's a hypocrite. The simple fact he knew as much as he did and still chose to hand him a high 5 figures a year shows he doesn't give a shit if his owner is a racist

4. kidbourbon

No, no he wouldn't.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I disagree. The NBA owners would be well within their rights to make it clear they have no intention of associating with racists.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Was schott forced to sell? I thought she was just taken out of day to day operations

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying the government should do anything.

8. kidbourbon

How much do you think Clippers season tickets cost, dude?

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I understand your thinking. He may be the owner, but he has submitted his organization to NBA governance- voluntarily as a condition of membership. Keep that in mind.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Guy has aged 30 years in the past 5. He looks terrible. I once read his stuff, but currently I can't stand him. He thinks he's Jesus Christ

11. hatvol96

Why would you own a business that you have no say in the operation of?

12. kidbourbon

Yeah, the government definitely definitely shouldn't do anything, and they definitely definitely can't do anything.

13. JayVols

And I'm not saying the govt should do anything. Moot point.

14. kidbourbon

I actually dunno, but I know the MLB gives more power to the commissioner and/or other owners to take action in these sort of situations. Adam Silver, on the other hand, can't really do anything to Sterling.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I get it, but that would be the apples to apples comparison. His tenure as owner will reach a natural death. The nba stepping in sets a terrible precedent. Because we all know one day Michael Jordan or whoever will say something about white people or the Jews and he a won't be forced to sell.

16. kidbourbon

You said the owner of a private company would "be shown the door". Who else would be showing the owner of Hypothetical Inc. the door? His employees?

17. JayVols

You're right. Bad example.

Still, he is a member of a larger organization to which he has submitted his team to their oversight.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Well for someone as old as stearling and schott I'd say your tax basis moving up at death would be a very big reason.

19. hatvol96

Not so sure about that.

20. kidbourbon

I agree completely. His pipes are absurdly bad. He shouldn't be allowed on TV.