Is It Okay For People To Be Racist Privately?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 28, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

How was that book?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I actually didn't love it and I like those types of books. It had a lot of stuff i didn't find that interesting.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He gets control and a near unlimited budget

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was slow

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Saw this on reddit:

[​IMG]

And I think it is true. I am not advocating any sort of false equivalency, but rather that racism is an even bigger problem than white on black. It is every possible combination, but for some reason other variants (hispanic on black, black on hispanic, Asian on everyone, Arab on everyone, even black on black) of racism don't get any real media attention.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I agree, too (Although, I also don't think the creator of that gif was thinking of this when he created it. That's a different argument, though.). The amount of shit people feel that is completely acceptable to say or discuss about Arab, or Middle Easterners, is unreal.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The reason is that people are terrified of being called racist.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the unpopular opinion puffin meme?

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

What do you mean you "don't understand" it? Do you "understand" Philosoraptor or Socially Awkward Penguin or Foul Bachelor Frog or Condescending Wonka?

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

OP Question: of course it is a person's right to be racist in private, public or anywhere else. Is it OK, even in private? No. And the reason I think it is not OK is that people have children. And then they are raised in this atmosphere of hate and thinking it is normal. Can anything be done about it? No, other than education and slapping it down wherever it is heard. Of course, it will always exist, because we evolved to live in communities of 150 or so people. Any larger than that and the other people start becoming the Other People. We have to fight that bred urge.

As for penalizing Sterling via the NBA, is it not a franchise? Doesn't the NBA ultimately own the name and rights of the franchise? I could be wrong of course, but if a guy hung a sign on his Burger King franchise that said "Black People Served In the Back Door", don't you think BK's central headquarters would be pulling his franchise so fast light would go "Damn! That was fast!"? Of course, I don't know the franchising rights under NBA or BK contracts, so I could be completely wrong here.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's almost as though people have decided that as long as you freak out over white on black everything else is fair game.

12. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

So what's the deal with magic Johnson now wanting to buy the clippers?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I thought that was just a suggestion.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I honestly think that needs to change. Why it is OK on TV to use the word "cracker" but not "******" is beyond me. I guess the biggest difference is that if a black guy called me cracker, I would probably shrug it off and go eat some crackers.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not sure what percentage of the dodgers magic owns but I bet it's less than 5 percent. So it's a figurehead minority owner anyway

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

On tv it's also ok to have the "crazy Asian" who speaks with a thick accent and the "low rider" Latino. In my life I've heard far more anti semitism than comments about black people

17. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

I'm against telling other folks how they should FEELand think.

18. Unimane

I would argue those two are not remotely the same in context, but I got into a knock out drag out deal with Tenny over it and it's a word that's "not allowed" on this board, even in jest (which was how I used it). I still refer to the Louis CK bit on being white where he says "I'm a white male, you couldn't offend me if you tried."

19. Unimane

I've heard a lot more anti-black than anti-Semitism, but I agree with the point about the others, especially with children from two marriages that can check both of those ethnic boxes.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm betting a lot of that is more regional than anything because I am the same.