Is It Okay For People To Be Racist Privately?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 28, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was unaware of him completely, but several analysts and commentators on the radio have made comments to the effect of the NBA shitting the bed when they didn't get rid of the guy years ago when he settled with the feds over housing discrimination. That was their airtight chance to get him out of the NBA.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know. Maybe the NBA and 29 other owners could chip in and give him a fair market price for it, then flip it in a year or two. Isn't that what was done with the New Orleans Pelicans?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Well, then they will reap what they sow.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never would have guessed it was that much for the Clippers. But then, I guess they have the wealthy population to charge that there.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They'd be smarter to let nature take it's course. How many Fortune 500 companies are going to be buying luxury boxes now? Someone has already leaked all their corporate sponsors. He's done

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

And to some extent, this is why I am not finding a lot of sympathy for the Clippers players or Coach Rivers. They'd have to not have been paying attention.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's still less than half of laker tickets

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The most expensive seats in the building are 48K. There's a big big difference between the price of seats in row 119 or 109 five rows up (my my best guess as to where his seats are) and Jack Nicholson-style floor seats. The former are no more than a third the price of the latter. And you can see that by looking here (http://www.ticketmaster.com/los-ang...catid=7&tm_link=artist_msg-0_2C004C72BF7843A3). So, I'm gonna dial your estimate back to $30K for the pair, at most.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're probably right. But the loudest critics of this won't see it that way. Ya though, he's going to lose more with the natural death.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The clippers have had a terrible reputation forever. Anyone that plays for him has admitted long ago he's a paid mercenary.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yet I'd expect that for a franchise of that history, popularity, and with an innate celebrity culture to it.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They used to be a lot cheaper. The espn book said Simmons makes over a mil a year (which is unbelievable) so he can afford it.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I haven't watched an NBA game since the last Celtics/Lakers final featuring Larry Bird, Magic Johnson & Kareem.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't like selective enforcement. I guarantee you someone will say or do something to a group that people care less about offending and not be forced to sell.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought ESPN didn't pay people that much? I guess just not many people?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't watch many I must admit. The lakers and some playoff games. I haven't watched a non dodgers baseball game in at least 5 years.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, you can call Palestinians almost anything and no one seems to care in this country so I agree with you.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Apparently they never used to. The guys they interviewed complained if Simmons was making less than Oprah he'd be angry. He didn't seem well liked.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Simmons is/was one of ESPN's biggest assets.* I have no issues with the most widely read sportswriter in the country getting a mill a year.....especially when they were paying Rick Reilly 3mill/yr. That's the one that's unbelievable.

*ESPN owns Grantland. Or at least has a stake. I'm not sure the details on that.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I bet grantland was a way to pay him off. Btw that book was before grantland so he might currently make more