Rumors That Heads Are Gonna Roll Today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 30, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's fair and I can certainly respect that point of view.

Dooley walked into a dumpster fire and did show signs of improvement in the 2010 season. I thought he handled Bray with kid gloves until the time was right.

This season was an abortion. Dooley constantly belittling players in the media and the constant excuse making was the straw for me. Take ownership of the situation instead of blaming a torn ACL and a broken thumb. That, to me, was admitting that you had no plan for the worst case scenario. But it is what it is.

My main reason for wanting him gone now is because next season should be guaranteed 7 wins for simply showing up. Any kind of improvement leads to 8 and maybe 9. That doesn't mean this staff is better or knows what they're doing, it just means the schedule is a whole lot easier. You're essentially giving him 2 years.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tweak away. I'm going to be working my ass off for the next 3 days.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Anyone else think that this potential Rogers exodus is just the tip of the iceberg?

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Whoops, wrong thread, but it fits here too I guess

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Thanks. Given the schedule I think we all agree that it should be much easier next year which means more wins. The win total is important, but in this particular case my judgement will be based more on the improvement of our players and overall game management.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I won't go that far. We're talking about a program that's so bitter about being regarded as second rate in their own state that they're running away to a conference where they'll never win anything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I have to disagree. You can use that for the first year or two. 2012 will be his third year, and I want wins.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

When was the last time we were in the top 10?

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. 2011 was the last year that I was willing to not take wins into as much account as normal. I'm on record of wanting him out yesterday, but in 2012, win and win big (at least 9 in my eyes) or GTFO!

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Sumlin hired at A&M

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Florida has beaten us 7 straight times. Bama and Auburn have both beaten us 5 times in a row. LSU has a 4 game streak. Our record is so bad against our rivals that our fanbase thinks we own Georgia and South Carolina because they have only beaten us 3 of the last 4.

I'll tell you what I want to see; I want to see some indication that the program is on a path to changing that. I want to see a guy that is going to go toe to toe with the power programs and give me hope that UT has a chance. I want to start a win streak that is embarrassing for one of our rivals, and I want even the best teams on that list to actually be worried the week before the UT game. I want to see Mike Hamilton's invented standard of a 1st place finish in the division every now and then and a conference title half the time that goal is met, and I don't want to have to explain 1-7 records in the years between.

Does anybody really see Dooley being the guy that accomplishes that?

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

How would people feel about Mark Dantonio?

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think he's a good coach, but the heart attack still concerns me a little.

Also, I don't see him leaving.

14. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I believe there are three ways UT can go. They can get the biggest name coach that will provide that pow heading into spring ball or they can bring back someone like Chavis to be the HC and satisfy many disgruntled UT fans and give an air of stability. I think both are good options when compared to keeping Dooley. Chavis has gained some reputation points at LSU. If he wins the big one again he will have a very nice resume. If we are talking another big name it seems we are going the NFL route. I just don't see Stoops coming here. Option 3 is a college coach on the rise. The Strong, Sumlin or other like candidate. I can tell you that I work with a former UT LB and he will swear up and down Chavis was our HC from 1999 on without the ability to bring in his own OC...Fulmer had checked out and was sitting on his ass in la la land.

Hart has some big balls if he fires Dooley and hires a unproven coach at this level...I am not disagreeing with it but politically it is very dangerous. Fans will eat him up if it goes bad.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Good point and I honestly forgot about that.

Also, hell no on hiring Chavis baccah.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't think hiring an unproven coach is an option right now. If you are going to make a change after two years, you have to get a winner to keep the fans and boosters happy and to try to prevent a lot of defections from the roster or recruiting class. I don't want to sound like one of the guys on TOOS that keeps saying things like "4 coaches in 5 years" and "nobody would want to take the job," but if UT makes a change and hires the wrong guy, we're probably stuck with him for at least 2-3 years. Doesn't seem any better than just firing Dooley next year in that scenario.

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

If it is Chavis or Dooley then I will go with Chavis....I cannot imagine that man losing a team. Players have a crazy amount of respect for him. I am just as good with a Strong or other candidate. It would be like driving a pinto and rolling in the next day with a cadi...

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There are a good number of posters on this site that would do a better job of not losing the team than Dooley has done, imo.

19. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I keep picturing different coaches on the sideline for UT...I have pictured Herm Edwards, Chavis, Strong, Sumlin, Peterson, Norv Turner, Fisher, Gruden, Cowher, and Del Rio...all get me more excited then being forced to watch Dooley manage a game one more time...I don't even have a favorite.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

From what I've heard, Chavis is far too lazy a recruiter to be the head coach at Tennessee.