In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't expect, nor does anyone else I think, that Worley is going to break off a 30 yard run or rush for 100 yards in any game. He doesn't have the skill for that. What he could do is keep it 2-3 times/game and get 3-10 yards. That's all it would take to make the read defender squat rather than crash inside to our RB like a bat out of hell. That's not expecting much. Nick Foles, one of the goofiest footed QBs in the NFL, will even keep it occasionally.

2. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

Do you believe any of them can mature into a good O lineman

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Fault lies in the coaching IMHO. Watching them at times they can run block, just not consistently. They lack serious fundamentals of blocking. There much more to it than just coming off the ball and making contact. Won't even go into pass blocking.

The fact that (the other guy) didn't recruit any more linemen speaks volumes.

Youth has a lot to do with it but 5 games in they are no longer freshmen. I thought they looked pretty good against Georgia but against Florida they looked like they had never played before.

4. Oldvol75

Yes, without doubt.

5. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

Is this an issue of poor coaching or expecting to much from young linemen or perhaps a combination of both.

I am still believing Butch will turn this around and am not jumping off the bridge. I do know we have lost two winnable games because of coaching IMHO

I think this administration will keep him and not demand any staff changes no matter what happens.

I am holding out for a bowl but loosing hope daily, so guess I was just searching for something to hold on to. LoL

6. Oldvol75

I think its a combination of all of it.

7. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

Thanks OV just wanted your input

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I don't know if it's that:

A) he's afraid to keep
    B) he's too stupid to keep
    C) he's been instructed not to keep

It must be one of the three, but none of these are acceptabable explanations for his management of the run game.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You forgot...

D) All of the above

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Didn't Worley say that there were 3 times this season he should have kept the ball? I'm starting to believe he has been instructed not to keep it in order for him not to take any more hits. That way they can hope to redshirt Dobbs and not have to go with Peterman. I despise this whole redshirt this player or that player when that player can help now. You can recruit other players for future years. Basically Butch is trying to get through this year it seems and hoping to have a break out year next yr. If that's the case what's the win total for his "big" year? 8, 9 wins reg season? That's still mediocre. However I would kill for that this year.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't buy for one damn second that there have been only 3 or so opportunities for Worley to keep the ball. The idea that DC's hadn't figured it out after a year+ that Worley never keeps the ball and tells their DE to stay with the QB is utterly insulting and moronic.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You need to attend Butch's clinic, oh clueless one.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, two different things.

14. kidbourbon

And I think zone blocking is fine.

15. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;psu879qOkIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psu879qOkIo[/video]

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[youtube]zwzjLQx2Ad0#t=82[/youtube]

3 plays pulled out of their ass.

17. kidbourbon

Did you not bother to read the post I quoted?

You wrote:

"Example being the no huddle and their running from Jason Vorhees pace between plays."

And that isn't true. At all. You're welcome.

18. kidbourbon

Tennessee is 38th in the FBS in pace.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/10/9/6953633/college-football-pace-tempo-baylor-west-virginia

So next time when you're thinking about writing about how quickly they play -- and about how this deeply offends you -- don't write it.

19. kidbourbon

You'd need one more. Tecmo Bowl proves you only need four plays.

[​IMG]

20. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Helps if they're all in the same formation though. JMO.