Wussification of America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Or, they just aren't the type to let bullshit like that slide. If someone wants to be ignorant about your Southern accent and you choose to say nothing, so be it. I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for saying something consistently, though. It also appears, and if I'm wrong, please say so, that you are suggesting that the Obamas are using this as a crutch. However, it seems as if they are fairly accomplished people, so I don't think that's the case with them. To me, it appears as if they feel that people shouldn't have to put up with that shit and say so, not that black people can't be successful or accomplish anything because of these slights.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

all of them like confrontation, as long as it fits the adopted agenda.

3. Unimane

Then, those aren't worth shit. There are plenty that foster good debate, though.

4. Unimane

So, what is the difference in your complaints about your perspectives being marginalized and discriminated against and Michelle Obama doing the same? What makes yours more true and hers not?

5. Unimane

My 10 cent analysis? I think she gets asked a lot of questions and tells the same stories and answers again and again and this one blended in with another story/answer to stock questions. I don't know if this story in particular has more details to it or what, but I think she's probably experienced the type of situation she's inferring, but it may not have been this particular time at Target.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

What's the goal though?

Awareness

Old fashioned [itch bay]ing?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why would I agree she has a point? Every person on the planet has been confused for someone who works retail, let alone is asked for help occasionally

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So she is right that people are racist if they think she might work somewhere?

9. Unimane

In my experience, those who are more accomplished, like Obama, generally seek to change something because they feel it's a problem to be solved. Those who [itch bay] for the sake of [itch bay]ing do so to perpetuate their own sense of victimization and justify their own ineptitude.

In essence, to me, someone like Obama complaining about being assumed as the help is wanting that shit to stop. Someone whose sitting on the porch at 10 in the morning drinking a beer and saying that government has it out for the black man, which is why he hasn't had a job in a year, is just [itch bay]ing.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm guessing he didn't write his dissertation about people thinking he's dumb because he has an accent.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And some people are so obsessed with problems that don't exist that they spend their life being useless

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't get in the pulpit to whine about my plight. That's THE difference. I move on about my business and get my stuff done so I don't need a crutch to help me explain why I didnt.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I guess I can't figure out why it can't be the other way around.

Hey look, white gal didn't, stop, pause, turn around and go the other way.

She actually asked me for help and made fun if herself in the process.

14. Unimane

Yes, but you never ask why she thinks this and assume it's the same deal for her as it may be for you. You take it as an isolated incident, completely independent of any other factors and, clearly, she did not. Perhaps the situation was as innocuous as you think, perhaps not, but she, obviously, has some basis for thinking it wasn't and it didn't just materialize at that moment.

It's my general perception of you on this issue, and many others, overall. I don't think you are a racist; I just don't think you give two shits about understanding how and why other people think in these situations. You base your opinion on how it would apply to you and determine how other people should react based upon your own opinion.

15. Unimane

She's an accomplished lawyer and First Lady. I don't think she needs any crutches, nor any issues with her "plight". Plus, you saying that people judging you on your accent, which clearly bugs you as you have noted it on a number of occasions, isn't an excuse of why you can or can't do something. It's simply a matter of you saying that it's bullshit, shouldn't happen and proactively doing something in that regard.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's because you don't see everything through the lens of racism

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

She's searching for racist incidents and this is the best she can come up with. That doesn't tell you anything about her experiences and mentality?

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What's your evidence she's an accomplished lawyer?

19. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

well that won't sell magazines.

20. Unimane

That, as her husband mentions, her experiences with racism are mere inconveniences that hasn't stopped them from being successful, but still shouldn't happen, anyway? Seems a far cry from Angela Davis, to me. It isn't as if she called up the reporter to make a statement, either, she was specifically asked about it.