Wussification of America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 3, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Makes me think of Hunger of Memory

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You don't follow because you're not understanding the context. You pick out the sliver of information you seek and disregard anything else. You find one line that you think is some sort of statement about her feelings towards all white, yet it is a pretty mild reflection and, as she notes, only a reflection of her small sample size at Princeton.

You see it, again, only from your perspective. You see "I hate white people. I hate white people. I hate white people. I hate white people.", instead of a young black woman trying to discover her own identity and how to fit in. Why do you only assume that concept is about hating white people? What makes it all about you, or white people, in general?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. Unimane

You think your interpretation of that one line she wrote 30 years ago defines her entire life? You really make too much of this silliness. And, what evidence do you have that she is obsessed with this issue today? Because she told some story about a lady in Target? I picture people obsessed with an issue being a little more, well, obsessive.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

was she writing about fellow black people only looking at her race? was she saying fellow black people thought she was some sort of worker at target or thought her husband parked cars? she brought up race. not I. how you can say this isn't about white people I have no idea. what you are really saying is it's ok for her to be a racist. to assume all white people think the same and only see her by her race. fine. that's an argument you can make. but don't tell me race has nothing to do with a diatribe about racism.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

interpretation? how is this an interpretation? it's her own words. you think you stop seeing the racist boogieman 30 years later? please. she and her husband have a long history of pulling the victim card. this is hardly the first example. she also followed it up with:

"Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new,"

if she's telling me this happens all the time, why should I believe you that this is some sort of isolated interpretation by her? you know better than she does?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. Unimane

The paper isn't about white people, it's about black people. She's not assuming all white people are acting the same, either, as I noted above. The reason you think it's a diatribe about racism is because the only possible perspective you can discern is the one commenting on white people. Racism is an ancillary, or supporting, detail to the main framework of the paper, as she clearly defines.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can't be serious.

It is possible that Black individuals either chose to or
    felt pressured to come together with other Blacks on campus
    because of the belief that Blacks must join in solidarity to
    combat a White oppressor

After Princeton, one may speculate that respondents were
    also in predominately White work environments or attending
    graduate or professional schools that were also predominate-
    ly White. Thus, a discussion of the differences between
    these experiences in predominately White environments and
    Princeton experiences that prevented Pre and Post environ-
    ments from changing their attitudes will be interesting.

8. Unimane

No, it's not her own words, it's the words you think she's saying and devoid of the context you ignore.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've quoted her own words over and over again. you may think her racism is justified, but that's another topic.

10. Unimane

You serious? You miss the "because of the belief" part in the first paragraph? I'm missing the issue with the second part, especially in connection with the question the paper is asking.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are saying the paper isn't about white people and racism.

12. Unimane

Because it's about black people and their identity. Why do you assume that anything written about race or includes white people has to be primarily about white people and racism?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not talking about ANYTHING. I'm talking about this paper. I'm not sure what evidence you need?

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not sure how many excuses about context we need to make in deciding this topic is at the core of this couple - except for Barry's golf and Michele's food programs.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Don't wear a red shirt and shop at Target