Wussification of America

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Feb 3, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not suggesting she's an idiot, just certainly not the sidney poitier of our generation as she pretends to be.

sweet jesus. did you read the ****ing thing? she said I quote, "Regardless of the circumstances underwhich I interact with Whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be Black first and a student second." This isn't complaining about being pulled over for driving black. this is saying everyone sees her as black first. that everyone is a racist. how can you not see the difference?

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Isolated what? The fact that she's addressed this issue before? So?

That quote, too, was pulled out of context, anyway, and is nonsense. She meant the arena of politics and not America, in general. That was just a "gotcha" political moment.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

riiiggghhhtttt

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/02/michelle-obam-1-2/

Speaking in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today, would-be First Lady Michelle Obama said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

Then in Madison, she said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

she's an accomplished what?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

given that she has spun the story two ways, depending on how she needed it. In one instance she was gushing about how she (and her husband by association) are just every man, until she needed the same scenario to point out that someone presumed a lower station in life for her because of her skin color. Both instances are complete crap.

6. Unimane

She said "often seems", not "they are" and goes into much further analysis of the concept in the paper. You're not offering context. Did you even read beyond the point in which you thought you found the evidence you sought to fit your conception of her?

You don't think people speak in general terms instead of their actual nuanced position? If I say "people from Alabama seem like rednecks", I don't necessarily mean everyone from Alabama. I just have some anecdotal evidence that I'm using generally, though, pretty intellectually lazily. It's a pretty weak basis for extrapolating "all white people are racists" in her paper, especially from a paper written 30 years ago as a young person in a different environment than today.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

she was the bread winner in her family before her new found pride in the u.s. of a.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but we know it's silly to differentiate between Alabama and Wisconsin. The world is littered with rednecks too.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

you should. lol

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I have no doubt she held a job in a firm, but the evidence of her "accomplishments" is scant.

She and her husband have been handed much based upon his political prospects. I don't think the trail is very hard to piece together. Sadly, the vast majority of politicians have a very similar story.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

whole lotta truth right there. that's how you knew romney would be a bust as a politician, way to much actual accomplishment.

12. Unimane

She wasn't a lawyer? And, just to avoid a long argument over the meaning of "accomplished", the point you were making was that she was using this whining about racism to compensate for her failures. So, the point is, does she feel like a failure? Her being a lawyer in Chicago after graduating from Harvard Law would suggest that's a no.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

conception? are you serious? you really don't think she's obsessed with racism?

You are comparing you making a vague statement at a bar or something to the summary of a person's dissertation? wow. do I have to google you the definition of "summary?"

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

her law career certainly won't appear accomplished beside the vast, vast majority of her undergrad or grad classmates in Chicago.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

she has to feel like a failure to think that all white people are racists? I'm really not following your logic.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

really sounds like a very open minded person:

"further integration and/or assimilation into a white cultural and social structure that will only allow me to remain on the periphery of society; never becoming a full participant."

17. Unimane

No, I don't think she's obsessed. Her commenting at various times about the issue doesn't make her obsessed with the issue.

You realize, also, that she actually had a section called "summary" and that wasn't where this statement was, right?

18. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you aren't obsessed if you believe that every white person sees you as black first and that you will never be a full participant in society?

ok so it's in the introduction. my point still stands. and I quote "The introductory paragraph should also include the thesis statement, a kind of mini-outline for the paper: it tells the reader what the essay is about"

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

OBAMA: We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid. They're going to try to make you afraid of me. (laughter) They're gonna.... They're going to say, "You know what, he's -- he's -- he's young, inexperienced, and, uh, uh, he's got a funny name. Did I mention he's black?