Brussels terror attack

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, I agree there are problems within those countries and within the religion, as well, but most of them aren't trying to ignite bombs in Belgian subway systems. The biggest threat these extremist group pose is still towards other Muslim groups. The main problem, as I see it, is within sects like Wahhabism that eschew any sort of education other than religious education and reject analysis of the Koran in favor of literal interpretation. In essence, the difference is how much they accept Enlightenment ideals, which is the demarcation line between modern society and the Salem Witch Trials. It's unfortunate that a lot of these places have slipped away, like Iran, because they were well on their way, at one point.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

any conform or die movement has to be squashed by the rest of the world. Tolerance isn't an alternative with these people in power. I don't care what the average Ishmael thinks. My concern is handing power to the Wahhabists or anyone else bent on forcing, at the point of the sword, people to conform to his view of religion.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Society still loves a good witch hunt from time to time. It's still the same as back then too. It last about as long till they start pointing the finger at the wrong kind.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm saying ISIS is a death cult, just to be clear

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think anyone here disagrees.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I can't Imagine why anyone would make the leap associating ISIS with Islam. The two are like oil and water; night and day... oh wait...

The 26-year-old Virginia man who was taken into custody in Iraq after he purportedly deserted the Islamic State told a Kurdish TV station Thursday that he decided to escape after he grew dissatisfied during intensive religious training in Mosul.

Mohamad Khweis told Kurdistan 24 that his life under the Islamic State in Mosul was a “very strict” regimen of prayer, eating and eight hours of daily instruction in religion and sharia law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...51ed70-ec88-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's almost exactly how Christian Camp was for me in 8th grade. Truly.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I suspect killing people, beheads, bombings, burning people in cages, etc was frowned upon.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Something going on at Denver International Airport?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only thing I've heard is a possible security threat and the West side was being evacuated

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Same. Probably just extreme caution. Hopefully.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

It would probably help if every time something like this happens the "sane Muslims" weren't almost completely silent. You can't say the media wouldn't be all too happy to trot out some spokesperson for rational Muslims ( lord knows they have Trouble even identifying terrorists when it's plainly obvious) yet you rarely see that happen. Groups like CAIR go out of their way to make sure nobody speaks out against the violence perpetrated by Al Queda and ISIS....

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They aren't. They just don't get media coverage. They condemn this stuff every time.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wonder if we don't give them more power, by how much we pay into what are fairly weak attacks. Aside from 9/11 and the Spain train stuff, most of these attacks haven't been effective except for the fear they cause. I mean this in a tactical sense, obviously any loss of life is bad.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

CAIR made statements. Local chapters made statements. From CAIR national:

We express our solidarity with the people of Belgium and offer condolences to the families and loved ones of all those killed and injured. Such heinous attacks are antithetical to the ideals of civilized society.

We also urge media professionals to devote equal attention to such attacks when they occur in other nations. Recent attacks in Turkey took the lives of dozens of people, including two Americans, yet far less attention was paid to those attacks.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Savage Orange, can you acknowledge you were mistaken on this? It comes up every time there is an attack and it just isn't true.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There are legitimate criticisms of CAIR. Valid criticisms.

But saying Muslims need a Jesse Jackson, or that CAIR should be Jesse Jackson, is, well, saying there should be another Jesse Jackson.

And I think we're good on that front.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The media rarely pushes it, though. It should be splashed all over front pages too

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Isis is not the only problem with Islam, Iran, Taliban, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia are all problems for western civilization Sharia Law is totally against our beliefs. Yes, not all Muslims are violent, but their religion encourages violence, espouses martyrdom. and denounces all other religions. If the majority of Muslims are peace loving, then why do they allow the radicals to exist with little to no denouncement. As long as they harbor, subsidize, and do not denounce, they should be squarely in the cross hairs of prudent nations vigilance.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Respectfully, we just covered this. They are denounced, widely and loudly. That doesn't get any media play here in the states because it doesn't generate fear. There are more Muslim victims of these attacks than non-Muslim, which is what CAIR was referring to with the Turkish attacks that got no attention recently because they happened to Muslims.