Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do we get to use this logic on people denied the right to vote that are legal citizens entitled to do so?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The number of people denied the right would be zero.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that those nullified by vote cheating are equally citizens who followed the rules?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, you're ignoring the balance sheet. There is no evidence the number of those cheating is anything but tiny, where as there is a great deal of direct proof that hundreds to thousands of legal voters are being turned away.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bullshit. You only have to look at any election with these laws and you'll see it is happening. Literally just google it.

That you would have the audacity to say it's "zero" seems to indicate you aren't looking at this issue fairly.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How do you propose we gather evidence regarding whether or not someone got away with voter fraud?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then you must also agree that ID and other such restrictive laws deny me my constitutional right to bear arms.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You mean anecdotal evidence. Compelling

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is mind-boggling that you can hold up voter fraud as this massive issue while simultaneously minimizing voter suppression. I don't think you're able to understand the nature of "evidence" on even a vague philosophical level.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You have a right to bear (own) firearms. An ID is not required to bear (own) firearms. It is required to purchase them from a retailer. It is not required to purchase/trade with private citizens. Don't believe me? Walk down the street with a gun in your holster. An officer will come along and ask you for ID. Reply to him that it isn't lawful for him to to require an ID without probable cause, and a firearm can't be probable cause because you are constitutionally allowed to carry it. A long conversation will then ensue, and he'll find some other reason to strip you of your rights.

I ask for the same courtesy for voters. At least plant the drugs or something.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is untrue. In some states and DC, it is illegal under all circumstances to openly carry a gun. In some you have to have a permit to openly carry and/or conceal carry.

As best as I understand it.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was thinking of CO/The South. You are correct, in some places you can't do that. Regardless, you can't have you guns taken from your home because you don't have an ID, which would be the comparable circumstance.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i hold it up as a massive issue? Link? one is someone wilfully trying to subvert the process and committing a crime. the other is someone too lazy to stand in line at the dmv. so yeah, I find the latter to be less important.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The folks who were in your camp that tried it to demonstrate how easy it was got caught. I suppose you could give it a shot and report back.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The word bear does not mean own. It means carry.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I will get on that the next time a vote comes to town. Fortunately I have already done tons of field research on acquiring a photo ID and I can confirm it is extremely easy. So at least we've got that figured out.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you think the founding fathers were arguing for open carry? I didn't realize you were from Texas.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm trying to find the guns in this image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...of_Independence_by_Armand-Dumaresq,_c1873.png

They must be there, since the founding fathers allegedly intended open carrying of firearms to be so critical to the nation. Surely they'd all be carrying.

Maybe in this one? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._of_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States.jpg

What are we to make of this lack of firearms being carried while the second amendment was signed? Artistic license?

Or maybe, just maybe, the second amendment is wildly misinterpreted and had to do with maintaining a standing army-- something hotly contested at the time. Nah, I'm sure these guys were all just packing and it was forgotten.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh my bad. I'd somewhere gotten the idiotic idea that words have meaning.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's rich, coming off the argument that Billy-Joe carrying his desert eagle around Wal Mart is part of a "well regulated" militia