Should All Votes Count, Equally?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's been proven why an ID is necessary.

You guys are arguing about access and how shitty the DMV is. Prove you are who you say you are, that you have a right to vote in this country, then exercise your right to vote.

Problem solved.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have a crazy idea: let's fix the shitty DMV and access for IDs

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Entire day of work? Make an appointment. Btw try getting a job without a valid ID. That is required by federal law.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Try cashing a welfare or Social Security check without an ID. Try making a Medicare claim without an ID. All the people that are supposed to be adversely impacted by showing and ID to vote already have to show the same ID, to receive their benefits.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, it hasn't been proven. The argument is the current methods need to be changed in order to prevent voter fraud. Yet, studies have shown that this isn't a problem, at all. It's a made up problem. Buying beer, getting a job, welfare, whatever, are all nonsense justifications that have nothing to do with the main conjecture here that the idea that this is designed to prevent voter fraud. It has nothing to do with it because it isn't a problem. So, if it isn't a problem, where does this come from? It's the same as requiring welfare recipients to take drug test because there's this idea that people are food stamps are smack junkies. Yet, when someone takes a look at it, that's not the reality, either.

So, what is it? It's made up bullshit outrage and the right wing equivalent of the Social Justice Warriors at places like the U. of Missouri, except that the SJWs have, at least, some basis for their outrage and simply take it beyond all reasonable reality and limits. The idea of stopping voter fraud and druggie welfare recipients is simply something that people think must be happening because that's how they envision poor people and the like.

6. Unimane

So, if they have to show an ID, then it stands to reason that these aren't the people who are being affected by this proposed requirement and the point is moot.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Maybe no one is being effected by the new requirement and the point is moot?

8. Unimane

Say that were true (And, I don't agree that it is.) and no one was affected, then what's the point? You've made this requirement to address a certain "problem", but the problem didn't exist in the first place and nothing really has changed. Why bother, then?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are not following. Losing to Vanderbilt happened because no one was proactive. Player development was a problem, but because we still had great players no one did anything. Hence, 7 years later UT falls off a cliff. All very easily preventable. Voter fraud is very easily rectified, but no one would be willing to do anything until something catastrophic happens. That's ridiculous.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The point is the people registering are the actual people voting? Back in the day when I had to pick up tickets at will call i had to show an ID to verify who I was even though I doubt it's all that likely that someone else is going to show up to claim them

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Deciding at the last minute, or even "not giving a shit," shouldn't mean you don't get a vote

12. Unimane

There were plenty of signs that things were not going as well as they should under Fulmer, well before the loss to Vanderbilt. There isn't for voter fraud. My example of forcing welfare recipients to take a drug test is a more apt analogy.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You have to register in the proper county ahead of time, so it already does.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But there is evidence that voter fraud occurs, correct? If this right to vote is so important, why not crush that problem now, as even a single fraudulent vote directly deletes your vote?

15. Unimane

It's also something that you've paid for, which people stealing things has been a verifiable problem.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There are no statistics showing widespread will call ticket theft. Therefore those bastards are infringing on droski' right to claim his personal property. They should be in jail.

17. Unimane

You are reaching here. People steal stuff through identity theft, etc. all the time. Not to mention will call isn't something run by the government, anyway.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was being sarcastic. I'm betting that these box offices decided that even though they maybe hadn't seen a bunch of people fraudulently claiming tickets, it was pretty easy to realize that if it did happen, someone was going to be mad as hell, and money would need to be refunded. Since a solution like ID presentation was so easy, it made sense to make it a rule rather than wait for some customer to go ape shit.

19. Unimane

It's a commercial interaction, though, through a private entity. It's not the same as an action like voting. Picking up your tickets at a ticket office is not a right guaranteed to people like voting is.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Will call theft was a verifiable problem?