What Is/Was Your Major?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 23, 2012.

1. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

[​IMG]

I'm going to hit your questions first. I'll get the other in a minute.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Biology. Toying with the idea of going back to get a Master's of Higher Education

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

King -
    What is the best explanation for an "overtone"(sp), which occurs (as best I can understand it) when a group of instruments become perfectly harmonized - a higher, different note emerges, and which no one is actually playing.

I assume tha this is either some form of witchery or something which resulted from the Chernobyl reactor accident.

4. Tenacious D

I took college chemistry - and spent anywhere between 4-6 hours (no exaggeration) outside of the classroom studying it....barely nailed a C. He basically bumped me up because he knew I had busted my ass.

Chemistry, foreign languages and music - I simply don't have an aptitude for any of those.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Throw in Art classes and you've got my academic failures.

I have a Business Mgmt degree with a minor in Coaching. I am in the process of getting my Masters in Education.

I forgot how bad I hated school. First night of class was all it took to remind me.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Chemistry and foreign languages I've got...music...not so much.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

As folks can tell from my posts, I struggle with English. Throwing another language in the mix would be an epic disaster.

8. KingWebbsticles

Before I get into this, do you understand what scales are? The concept of a scale?

Oh, forget this picture. It is just a reference instead of an explanation. It confuses me looking at it and I know what it means.

9. KingWebbsticles

That is as good of an explanation as any. It is pretty mindblowing to hear.

It is all about the frequency of the actual notes being played. When the sound waves align at the perfect time it can cause our ears to perceive another pitch that isn't being played/performed. You can get really technical with math and fractions of the Hertz of sound waves and how the notes of the chord mathematically align with one another.

Simply, the sound waves of the notes being played can create a perception by your ears of another, unplayed, note.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Abstract Mathematics (Math 300) was a required course for engineering. The first time I signed up to take it, I went to the first two or three classes and I don't think I understood a single word the professor said. And the textbook for this class isn't that good (it wasn't even really a textbook -- It's one of those deals where somebody in the math department put something together and they send you down to graphic creations on the strip and buy it as a spiral-bound packet essentially), so you really have to be able to understand the professor. So I dropped the class and dreaded taking it again as I thought was complete greek based on what I'd seen and heard.

When I took it again, it was taught by this guy ( <Jerzy Dydak's Home Page> ), who was an excellent professor. And it ended up being the best class I ever had in college. By far.

A professor can make a big difference.

11. kidbourbon

I think the concept of a scale is one of the few things that I do understand. An ascending sequence of notes. Low to high. I think the fact that I understand what a scale is the reason I don't understand anything else. Because it seems like the notes in the scale would be all you would need to write and understand music. Like when somebody is singing, they are singing in a certain note, which should fall somewhere on a scale. So the fact that there is so much more to it than that is confusing to me.

12. kidbourbon

Oh, and your responses to my previous questions were helpful.

13. KingWebbsticles

Okay great. This will help with the explanation.

The Key of a piece is based on a scale. If the key is C, then it is based on the C scale. C is the home note and the place that provides stability. You can choose any note that is in the C scale.

If the Key is Bb(B-flat), you can use any note that is in the Bb scale. (Bb C D Eb F G A Bb).

There are 24 scales (12 major and minor) that you can choose from. Most every song is in one of these scales. Do you understand the concept of chords? Specifically, how chords are built within a scale.

I'm trying to keep the posts short and simple so we both don't get confused. I hate that I'm hijacking this thread though.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wise man.

My advice - go do your two years of slavery at the Big 4. Odds are you will hate it, but you will be able to get a job with any firm you want at the end of it.

And don't goof around with the exam. Pass it asap. You will thank me later.

15. Tenacious D

You're not hijacking anything - we're all learning, or easily keeping the other conversations separated.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer the questions.

16. Tenacious D

Card -

Big 4?

1. P&Y
    2. Pugh
    3. Lattimore & Black

First 3 correct? Who is 4th?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In what time signature is "Pyramid Song" by Radiohead?

18. KingWebbsticles

It's hard to tell. The emphasis on weak beats throws off any feelings of normal time signatures. It makes it hard to tell if the emphasis is the downbeat of a new measure or an accented note.

If I had to guess, either 12/8 (if the emphasized notes are accented) or a mixture of 9/8 and 6/8 measures. It is definitely in a triplet pattern though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No.

Ernst & young
    Deloitte
    Kpmg
    Pwc

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Currently a finance major here at UT.