What Is/Was Your Major?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 23, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Political Science.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

BS and PhD in Chemical Engineering

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

nerd!

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

TT's a show off.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

"PhD in Chemical Engineering" code for Greene County methlab operation, imo.

JayVols likes this.
  6. TennTradition

How did you know where I took my practicum, Jo?

I didn't do this option, but we did have a degree called a PhD in Chemical Engineering Practice...I wonder if you could define your practice as meth? haha

7. JayVols

That could be one of the funniest things I've seen on here. I was rolling...

Rep points for you!

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My grandfather was a decent practicing chemist. He knew how to mix that weed-eater oil/gas mixture like none other.

Also TT, we grew up in the land of moonshine. Understanding the scientific properties of stuff should come second nature. Did you really need that PhD?

9. TennTradition

I didn't need it to understand it, I just needed it to convince others I understood it :)

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Touche'

11. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I've been thinking about International Affairs with a minor in Political Science.

12. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

BA in Political Science '05 UT
    BS in Commercial Construction Management '11 MTSU
    Thinking about a Masters from Lipscomb in Sustainability, but student loans are already a b.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

economics.

it was very easy

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm an electrical engineering major, and I approve this message.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Business Management. Started off as a Criminal Justice major but decided to go an easier route.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My oldest son graduates in May with a Political Science and Communication Degree. If you don't mind my asking, what can you do with a political science degree?

17. JayVols

BS artist?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Go to law school.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bs and masters in accounting.

3 hours short of a poli sci and econ minor.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Quite a lot. It is a versatile major. Consulting for campaigns and lobbying are two big moneymakers. Some lobbyists have law degrees but a lot don't. If you want to go the politics route get with a campaign and do whatever they say. If things work out (and you win) an office job might be there.

I don't think law school and political science are necessarily related but many folks go that route.

A PhD in political science can be pretty good at getting a college gig and the job market in political science is not great but better than a lot of disciplines.

Lastly, you can make the fateful trip to DC and do anything and everything to get in that scene (State Dept., CIA, NSA, etc). It is tough, you burn out easy, but it can be lucrative if you put in the time and effort to get one of those jobs.