What Is/Was Your Major?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 23, 2012.

1. l3rewski

l3rewski Member

Environmental & Soil science with a Biosystems Technology concentration in off-road technology. I'm in my 2nd year. It is basically soil science with a bunch of biosystems and industrial engineering courses.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

if I had to do it again - I wish I'd majored in geology rather than ME engineering after sitting through several geology seminars recently. Found it a lot more interesting.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Thanks. He says he wants to get into politics or do radio.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Computer Engineering.

5. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Business MGT, with a minor concentration in Acquisition and Contract MGT

6. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Interesante. For what type of job does that degree qualify you?

7. l3rewski

l3rewski Member

It sounds specialized, but the curriculum is still pretty broad and allows me several options. Companies/firms that design agricultural, military or recreational vehicles make use of technologists who specialize in the soil and environmental impact of off-road vehicles. My advisor is actually working on a project under government contract to develop the traction system of an underwater amphibian robotic combat vehicle. I could also focus on the soil science aspect and land a job as a field scientist, which usually involves the soil analysis of construction and agricultural sites.

As long as I can get a job with a fair amount of field work, I'll be happy.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

B.A. in political science and legal studies.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Old vol, you can basically go to law school, teach, or work at McDonald's. Poli Sci degree is a means to an end.

10. kidbourbon

I loved chemistry. Every engineering major required chemistry 1 and 2. I got an A and then another A without breaking a sweat. Don't get me wrong, I studied, but found the material more easily understandable than a lot of the more engineering-specific courses (electronics, for example, which is essentially transistor based circuits was something I found difficult conceptually. Once I got it, Iwas actually really good at electronics, but it took some time to get my brain wrapped around).

My solid grasp of chemistry might, in and of itself, been a clue to go pre-med, but I, too, dislike biology (hated it in HS), and didnt want to take biology classes.

11. kidbourbon

I believe you. I think music theory is fascinating, but it doesn't look easy at all. Could you explain to me the concept of a "key" in one reasonably sized paragraph?

A girl I once dated said that the song "man in the mirror" (a fav of mine) was unique in that the song changed keys at a point in the song. I asked her to explain what that meant, and it was like she was speaking in Greek.

12. kidbourbon

At UT?

When were you there?

13. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I'm headed that route as well.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Audit or tax?

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I almost went to graduate school for a masters in science and technology policy. Decided to go the PhD route, instead. I very well may still end up in that field, but I wanted the flexibility to go more hard science/engineering or play in the policy side of things.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sole reason I went accounting was I aced Accounting 201 and 202. It was insanely easy I thought. Wish I had actually applied myself more in upper level classes in it.

17. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

In the simplest terms possible, a key is the harmonic center of a song/passage. All songs are written in one of the 24 keys (12 major and 12 minor). For example, if a song is written in the key of C, then C is the foundation on what the song is built on. It starts on C and ends on C.

C is the "home" note (called tonic) in which everything else revolves around. The scale in C is: C D E F G A B C.

When a song changes keys, it changes the note that it is centered on. If a song starts in the key of C and changes later to the key of F, F is now the harmonic "home" note and everything is based off of the F scale: F G A Bb(flat) C D E F

I'm sorry if this is still confusing. It is difficult to explain something that we have been over so many times that it gets instilled into us. It also doesn't help that, in music, nothing is ever 100% accurate. Some music doesn't even use keys (atonal music).

18. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Leaning Tax, but I haven't really been exposed to either yet.

19. kidbourbon

I still don't think I completely understand the term conceptually, but your explanation was better than the last one. If I am understanding your explanation, I think the next step in understanding it further would be to understand what is going in this picture. Is that right?

[​IMG]

Related questions: what is the practical significance of the "key" for listening purposes? Or more specifically: can you listen to a song and tell what "key" it is written in? If you take a song written in a given key, can you write the same song in a different key? How much different will it sound?

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I love chemistry as well. I wanted to teach chemistry, but 1st year college chemistry killed me. I had a Chinese professor that couldn't speak a damn word of understandable English. I made the lowest grade of my entire academic career: C. I was so frustrated and knew that I was so far behind that I decided to not go that route. It pisses me off just thinking about it. You would think being able to speak in at least broken English would be required. That son of a [itch bay] couldn't even do that.