10ASE's Quest: Site's Biggest Critics of TN

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by 10SEvols, Oct 10, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't really think Butch knows anything more than stupid cliches and receiver routes. There's no rhyme or reason to anything this team does or has done under Butch on offense. Seriously, the first bit of actual changing something on the fly was getting Malone in the backfield and motioning him out to avoid press coverage against UF. This is year 4.

I think Dooley is a much better X's and O's guy but he thought it was beneath him while he was the HC here.

Does that matter? Not really, but I'll take the HOF coach's son over a guy who was a gopher for Brian Kelly in a X and O actual coaching contest. Dooley sucked at every single thing he did, Butch sucks on Saturdays.

So Butch still wins the comparison there

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You make some very good and valid points, but don't forget Butch also moved heaven & earth to get DeBord too.

I don't agree that Butch is average though. I think he's a bad Xs & Os guy, an even worse gameday coach, but a good to possibly very good recruiter. I have no issues with Butch on academics/discipline.

3. JayVols

With you 100% on the last paragraph.

4. JayVols

I'm not happy saying it, but it's there nonetheless.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Except that's not a fact. 23-21 and 45-42 aren't ass kickings. Not an endorsement, just correcting your "fact"

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Dooley never more than a position coach.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He's a glorified babysitter right now.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'll go back and check if they gave us a smaller % of a W for either of those

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch has had an odd career. He went from position coach to OC to position coach to OC back to position coach then HC.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the biggest thing for Butch is he worked at a lot of different places under different HC's. Dooley was an errand boy for Saban, then a HC

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He does. He is also a lazy, entitled piece of trash who looked only for who to blame for problems rather than solving the. It doesn't do any good to be the best football mind in the ga e if you can't field a team that can beat anybody.

I've got my issues with butch, but I'm not saying anything nice about Dooley. He sucks at everything.

12. chavisut

How does anybody determine Dooley knows more football? Serious, honest question.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He could actually tell you why the players did what they did on a play, especially on the offensive side.

Butch just repeats "resiliency", "toughness", "determination" and "grit".

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't really care about knowing x' and o's to a degree.

I've known some guys that could win the hell out of some chalk battles but couldn't get players to do shit on grass where it matters.

The best coach I've known couldn't tell you the difference between a three tech or a wide 9 on defense but could get his teams ready to win a ball game better than anyone I've ever been around.

15. chavisut

Gotcha. Never really listen to any interviews/press conferences. Still don't buy Dooley is a better coach or even in the same area code.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley sucks. I'm not in any way saying he's a better hc than Butch

17. JayVols

Understand. I really wasn't trying to say anything nice about Dooley, though.

18. JayVols

Me either. I'm just saying he knows more football. Knowing football & the ability to transfer that knowledge in an effective way to your players aren't synonymous. Folks are confusing what I said about Dooley as some endorsement of him. It isn't. He's a monumental piece of shit that I hope nothing but ruin upon, but that doesn't change the fact that he knows a little football. And it's not my fault that I can't say the same for Butch.

19. chavisut

I don't think anyone thinks you would endorse Dooley. Unless they're new round here.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm still not clear what the evidence is that suggests he knows so much more football