Fishing 2017

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 28, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The captain said he'd clean it and cook it for us, but we needed to leave it the hell alone.

I said okay

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Wasn't aware of that ecological mess. Interesting stuff.

3. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

FWC actually has Lionfish harvest days down here where you can receive prizes for the amount of fish you turn in. (Tumblers, t-shirts, extra spiny lobster limits,etc.)

4. Joseph Brant

They do that with Lake trout on Flathead lake. Goes for 2 months with about a quarter million in prize money based on numbers caught with the obligatory big fish awards also.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

There used to be a cash bounty on lampreys in the Great Lakes.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My dad stayed and fished today. They wound up catching a limit of tuna

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stripers are stout. I had one spool me, it hit a top water plug and never slowed down.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's awesome. Yellowfin?

9. JayVols

Fought him for a while. I hate the things. They eat too much.

10. Joseph Brant

When I had time to fish a lot we would slam stripers at the mouth of the Connecticut river and the harbor channels. Bluefish chasing schools of bait on top and stripers below. Occasionally get a few in the low 40's.

11. JayVols

These are a different type of stripers. They are a freshwater hybrid of the striped bass and a white bass. They can get huge. Even if the one I caught was at the heaviest of my 8-10 lb estimate, that's a minnow compared to 50+lbers pulled out of the lake I was on.

Now the freshwater striped bass (not stripers) are essentially an evolution of the saltwater fish. Salt stripers spawn in freshwater but live adult lives in saltwater. Some of these fish got landlocked in a reservoir on the Santee in SC when spawning. Turns out they thrived in freshwater too. It's a pretty fascinating story like the bull sharks that were freshwater locked in the ponds of an Australian golf course are not only thriving, they are reproducing. That should scare the bejeezes out of us all.

12. Joseph Brant

I've heard of Bull sharks making it to the mouth of the Ohio, don't know if it's BS or not

13. JayVols

There were attacks on kids swimming in a river 150-200 miles inland (I think) in the 19teens.

14. JayVols

Every time I get pissed at TVA for building a weir dam about 15 miles downstream from the river behind my house that prevents walleye & sauger from migrating to my back yard, I remember that bull sharks make long runs up freshwater rivers. At that point, I chill out on them a bit.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Check the pic thread, I just one in.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's possible, but they can't breed there. we have bottlenosed dolphins in the Potomac.

17. JayVols

Bull sharks are breeding in those ponds in Australia.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Just got a new Shimano 2500 spinning reel, and dying to try it out. Any takers?

19. Joseph Brant

Totally unrelated but my cousin fishes for musky on the fly on the Potomac around Boonesboro MD. I've tried it out, makes for a long day throwing huge streamers with a 10 weight in a heavy current. I'm sure I could get into it if I got one but no such luck.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Food supply. Unless they're stocking, that population is doomed to bottle neck. They won't last.