Fishing 2017

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I can feel it - this is my year, and when it all finally comes together. Have one friend who used to be a Striper guide and swears that he can put me on them, and another who pretty much fishes for smallmouth year round who promises the same, so my optimism is high. But it always is in March, and before I'm again humbled in the ensuing 6 months.

But not this year. All wrongs will be corrected. The ship will be righted.

Some questions:

1. I just saw a small swarm of mayflies and wondered if it's true that this is a good / accurate predictor of when fish start to become more active and can be easily had.

2. Is it really necessary to learn to throw an open-faced reel? I bought a fancy rig last year, one of those with the auto-backstop / won't backlash things - and pretty much gave up after my 10th cast and 12th backlash. I use the ol' open bell type, exclusively. Is it really that much better / easie to use an open-faced model, as to endure the steep curve in learning it.

3. Given my struggles with an open-faced reel, should I even attempt to learn a fly rod? How much more difficult is it, comparitivley speaking? While I'd love to try it, I am also risk-averse to snagging myself in the eye with a fly.

4. Are there any notable / significant differences in fishing for large versus smallmouth? All tips welcomed.

5. Any predictions on my catch count / largest catch? I'm going to say 150 and 35lbs. And that's conservatively.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Have you thought about visiting a catfish farm?

3. Tenacious D

I love to catch catfish almost as much as panfish.

I have a cousin-in-law (is that a thing?) who has a huge pond that's stocked with tons of catfish, and while it's fun, it feels a bit like cheating. I like the thrill of the hunt (fish?), probably as much as anything. But then, with my record, that's about all I've experienced...the hunt.

Are there any local to Knoxville? Do yo fish, NA?

4. Tenacious D

Also, I'm used to taking charters in the Gulf, but am going to Myrtle / Garden City with my wife's family this year, and wondered if anyone has taken a charter in that area, and if so, if any (ie salt, fresh, shallow, deep, types to fish for, etc.) worth a shit.

5. NorrisAlan

I do not know of any catfish farms near knoxville, but I am sure there are some.

I have given up fishing, but used to be an avid fisherman.

6. Tenacious D

I quit, too. Often several times a year.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Walleye or gtfo.

8. JayVols

All charters I've taken have been out of Cape Hatteras. Lots of Dolphin (Mahi not flipper) & yellowfin tuna. Caught a 90+lb yellowfin few years ago.

9. JayVols

Caught a citation king mackerel on on charter.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'll take you to catch trout sometime if you want. We can just spin fish.

11. NorrisAlan

Pretty sure that brings up bad memories with NYY and some of his friends.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Most are starting to gorge themselves to get ready to spawn.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You don't have to know how to cast an open faced reel, but you may need to if you're going to get on stripers

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Smallmouth like cooler water than large mouth, they also prefer moving water.

Smallmouth are also much more violent and acrobatic. My biggest smallmouth was right at 6 lbs. My largest large mouth was 11 lbs 5 ounces. The smallmouth fought twice as hard

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Around here, they're catching bass on rattle traps and shad raps in 8 to 10 ft around stumps and rocks

16. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Fly fishing is relatively easy, hard to master. Practice laying line in the back yard, and you'll get to be serviceable pretty quick.

When trout are surface feeding you can smash them, nymphs and streamers are the way to go for big trout but that takes a little more skill. Not that it's hard, but compared to dries it is.

There's nothing better than trout on the fly though, also a good idea is to cast for panfish in small ponds, that'll get you the fundementals of hooking and reeling in fish rather than being on a river and losing the first 30 that go for your fly.

17. JayVols

Pound for pound, the best fight I've ever had was a 2 1/4lb bluegill. When it hit, I thought I had an 8+lb smallie on the line.

18. JayVols

Tenny, you need to come to Hatteras with me one year (usually Memorial Day week). I guarantee you catch something while surf fishing with us.

That "something" you catch might be a buzz, but a catch is a catch.

19. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I have a 100 ton master captains license, but I am not using it for guiding right now. If you are ever my way I can put you on the redfish and speckled trout and an abundance of nature.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Avids are a good fighting fish, but taste like they are too active.