Fishing 2017

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 28, 2017.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You sir know how to throw a proper fish fry. You will definitely have to give me your meal mix. We use fry magic which works the best of the pre made. IMO

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Meal is simple & good. You may have to adjust your spice & seasoning measurements to your tastes. I love salt, so I might use more salt than some and you may deem excessive. Also, all seasoning measurements are approximates. I never actually measure them out.

The meal mix for a fry of 4-6 people:
    1. 2 cups yellow corn meal
    2. 1 cup plain (not self-rising) flour
    3. 2-3 Tablespoons of black pepper
    4. 1-2 teaspoons salt
    4. 1-2 teaspoons of powdered cayenne pepper

Pour ingredients in a gallon freezer bag. Shake to mix. Mix well.

I cut my filets into 2"X3" or thereabouts chunks. This helps it fry up evenly. It also helps when soaking in an egg wash (2 eggs whisked into a cup of milk) before breading filets. I have a medium sized fryer with a basket. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN FRYING FISH, imo:

Peanut oil. ALWAYS fry your fish & hushpuppirs in peanut oil unless you have an allergy, of course.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The second most important thing is temp. I fry at 350. If I have to do more than a few baskets, I wait til the temp gets back up.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Went deep sea fishing yesterday, we caught 60 beeliners, 12 snappers 10 scant groupers, 31 silky snappers, a lion fish, 4 amakoes, 2 barracudas, a bonito and 3 lesser amberjacks.

I caught an amberjack that was a little over 4 ft long and 71 pounds, but they aren't in season so after having it kick my ass for 30 minutes, it got weighed, measured and chucked back

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Nice score!

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Go to hell.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think I'm going to try and catch a blue marlin or a swordfish next.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Dang. Impressive haul.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lionfish are getting to be popular eating fish. Whatever you do, dont let them live.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Aren't they super toxic?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Poisonous, not toxic. You remove the spines. They're a new delicacy on the Caribbean.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Actually, not poisonous or toxic. Venomous.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Toxic- bad for you through skin or breathing.

Poisonous- bad upon ingesting.

Venomous- bad thing that gets injected into you. Snakes are venomous, not poisonous. Mushrooms are poisonous, not venomous. Toxic waste doesn't have to be eaten or injected to hurt you. Etc.

I try to keep them straight, but it's hard because we never learn that when first hearing the terms.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I used toxic because I was not sure if the meat was like that blowfish that kills Japanese people from ingestion. I, too, try to use them in the correct fashion.

15. JayVols

Nice haul. Not sure if I'm going out yet, but I'll be surf fishing all next week.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think dried powder from the puffer dish is toxic (inhalant), the flesh is mildly poisonous, and the spines are venomous.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

But you can prepare the flesh in such a way as to render it safely edible.

There is a fish in Alaska that is venomous and poisonous, Irish lord, that can be prepared and is gear eating. Pain in the ass to get off a line, I'd just cut the line and let it go. Pretty sure those are found in Subarctic waters throughout the northern hemisphere. Some of these soon venomous critters are protecting deliciousness. And lionfish are exotic so they should receive no quarter.

18. JayVols

[​IMG]

First trip this year. Went with no info. Conditions have been crazy with a warm winter, hot spring. Add the fact that it was after a 4 day cold snap & the water was very dirty from rains and I was very happy with the 4 keepers we caught. Had to split with my bro-in-law. 2 saugeye that were 22"+ and 2 walleye (one 18" and one 19"). Also caught a small catfish & a 9 or 10lb striper that about jerked my rod out of my hand when it hit.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dragons, as far as tenny is concerned.

20. JayVols

Just call me The Father of Dragons, then...