Fishing 2017

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's easy to forget how monstrously big Norris is. I'm always down near Anderson County / Big Ridge / Lost Creek.

2. Tenacious D

I don't even know what that is.

I use cut up hot dogs tied up with twine for bass.

Kidding - but might as well, as it's the same results.

3. Tenacious D

Well.....looks like I've got to start a new freezer bag now, as mine are just thrown into their own ziplocks.

That's three years of angling and anywhere from 2-3 filets, wasted.

4. Tenacious D

I'd legit love to learn to fly fish. Another buddy of mine gets below the dam when they're making power, and trolls for lake trout. He says it's the best way to fish for trout. But I'd like to learn fly fishing / fly-tying / and how to read a river / creek. I love catching fish, but honestly, it's about the experience more than anything. I like learning new things, and then trying to apply it.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am blushing.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think I meant Claiborne Co. ramp. Whichever one is near the 33 bridge.

7. JayVols

About 45 minutes if you use Hwy 31, if that.

I use a flatbottom jon w/15 hp motor in the marshes. I'm not getting in a kayak out there. Here's a video of what the place is like. In fact, the tallest building you'll see in the video (only 3 levels) is the condo we stay in. The gal is fighting a redfish. The video was taken when we were there. These folks are from Raleigh & we had got to know them some as we floated by during the week. Turn the sound down.

[youtube]ZcuYjDR2tSg[/youtube]

8. JayVols

I go as far as Hickory Star, but that's it.

9. JayVols

If I remember correctly, we were there at the same time 2 years ago, but were unable to arrange a workable time for a fishing trip.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd rather be in my kayak than my flat bottom. I think it'd be harder for a shark to knock me out of the kayak.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If bluegills were to get over 5 lbs, they would eat every other fish in the lake. They are mean little bastards

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There aren't any good walleye lakes around me. I've caught a few by accident sauger fishing and few throwing crankbaits for bass. I caught one that was right at 3 lbs on a deep diving crankbait bass fishing.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bluegills will hit anything and everything. I threw a 4 inch plug into a brush pile, and no sooner had it hit the water a bluegill hit it and grabbed one of the hooks.

14. JayVols

Not me. I used to dangle my legs in the water as we floated. Not anymore.

I've been neck-deep in this marsh walking the banks pulling a seine net for shrimp. Not anymore.

In fact, the morning when that video was shot, my bro-in-law went down a few minutes early & had motored 30 yards to a sandbar to throw a cast net to catch bait. When I got down to the dock, I told him to come get me & I would help. Told him multiple times. I just decided that it was a 30yd swim, I'm SCUBA certified & I can swim that easily. The swim would have taken me over the deepest part of the salt marsh (maybe 14-15ft), but something in the back of my head stopped me from doing the running dive into the water from the dock to swim to the sandbar. I tried to jump in 3 times, but just couldn't pull the trigger. And keep in mind, I've been all over that creek in the water. I just couldn't do it this time.

There's a second part to that video. They get the shark to bite the head of the fish then get in their jon boat. That thing pulls them around everywhere. But it made a beeline to that deep hole I would have swam over that morning..,.. Won't get in that water anymore.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've flipped a jig into a brush pile and watched the little shits wear out the skirt. The jig is almost as big as they are

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My next hobby maybe fly fishing. It just seems so peaceful and relaxing.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think you'd have whipped that sharks ass

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I see a lot of tangling and cussing when I think about it.

19. Tenacious D

Norris, Dam.

20. Tenacious D

That was the last time I was with the wife's fam, and I got hung up on the marriage contract.

What really sucks is that I'm not a sit-all-day-at-the-beach-or-by-the-pool type of person. I like to walk on the beach in the early AM and late PM with my kids, and I can tolerate the beach for about 3-4 hours on the first day, but my time at the water had better involve fishing tackle, beyond that. Otherwise, and outside of doing planned "activities" or eating with the fam, I'm looking around for shit to do.