I keep hearing... (Yet Another Race Discussion)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Legit question here - can you shoe me studies that back this? The study I've read reports if you follow the traditional formula, you have a 95% chance (ballpark) to achieve some degree of wealth regardless of race or beginning income level. Would seriously like to read something saying something different

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Any time you comment, you reduce it to pure silliness.

Abortion clinics are responsible. No it's single moms. I wonder if a would help with b? No, that must be silly.

If taking a conversation in exactly the same way you've taken it, in order to show your hypocrisy, in the (on my part) dumb attempt to slap you in the face with it makes you uncomfortable, feel free to not say things that could lead there.

We all know you maintain a position, despite evidence to the contrary. That's the problem.

3. fl0at_

How does cutting funding from education help reduce the burden on public schools? Because while both sides do it, the right (here to help keep away from the dependent state) does it far more regularly, and for way more dollars.

Your districts do have voting populations, but they were designed to stop this very thing from happening. They are designed so that the people elected remain elected.

There is some argument to be had about which political side is doing more, but that's not the point. The point is to show it exists. It exists today. It hurts. It segments. It pushes towards inequality.

BOTH POLITICAL SIDES HAVE BLAME. That's a big one. It isn't internal. It's external. That's also a big one.

And thus when people talk about inequality, they are speaking truthfully. That everyone should acknowledge it.

As to which side is worse, politically, as in which is crap and which is retried crap--well, that's, how'd you say earlier, "more of those feeling things."

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Now I didn't say it was from left-wing ideology, although left-wing hypocrisy plays a big part. "We just want our kids to go to good schools" is the rich white liberal's version of "heritage, not hate." But don't pretend that the Republicans aren't doing stuff that contributes to the problem as well, and don't pretend the problem isn't far older than the two parties as currently understood

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Here is a short piece on one such study. It links the study itself if you want it from the horse's mouth. Basically, studies are starting to point towards wealth as more of a community property. If your social circle (especially your family) is all rich, you're very likely to get financial gifts that significantly help you build your own wealth (I, for instance, don't have student loan debt because my parents paid for my college, which in turn allowed me to buy a house upon graduation, which now has a Zillow estimate of 45k more than I paid for it in 2011). Whereas if all your friends and family are poor, even if you get a good middle-class job, you're not quite so secure, because (1) you've got a lot of relations who are in desperate need for one thing or the other and you're the only one they can turn to, and (2) you don't have a safety net in case something bad happens to you (lose your job, etc).

And then some of it is probably just plain racism. I read an article a few months back about how in Atlanta after the recession, home values in black neighborhoods tanked harder and rebounded slower than in white neighborhoods, even after adjusting for income and education of the residents.

Anyways, here's the article on wealth:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ason-whites-are-richer-than-blacks-in-america

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Interesting. I'd not seen that one. Appreciate it. Didn't read the whole study, just the article.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's sad to see what conservative programming is doing to people. Just empty beep boop responses that aren't even logical. Abortions cause poverty. Okay.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think anyone who grew up poor is well aware of this. And proportionally, blacks have a lot more poverty. But I think it can go even further to where stereotypes rooted in that association of poverty and race feeds into a,positive feedback loop of diminished opportunities.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

There are elements that are designed to keep poor people right where they are. Welfare, poor school systems, abortion clinics, ext. many of those issues become less and less an issue if black children aren't born to single mothers taking welfare to survive.

Since you won't shut up about "abortion clinics making people poor", here is the quote you are misinterpreting.

You'd rather argue semantics than just state your opinion.

10. GahLee

11. GahLee

Despite evidence to the contrary? So 70-75% of black children being born out of wedlock and mostly to single mothers isn't a problem?

I been my stance throughout the thread. Go ahead, produce evidence to the contrary to that.

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Welfare and abortion clinics keep people poor is your way of saying it's misinterpreted? And you think that stance is any more valid?

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You're in the Charlotte area right (maybe I'm just dreaming that)? If so, congrats on getting in when you did. The housing market is insane here.

14. GahLee

Separate the first sentence from the rest. When I listed those problems it was in direct correlation with what followed. Which was that those issues are much less an issue if black men would take care of their kids and the women who birth them.

You guys make this shit complicated.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So how many people (or at least, active posters) on this board are not white?

16. GahLee

My avatar is of a black guy, does that count?

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

How the hell else did you expect it to be interpreted? You said "There are elements that are designed to keep poor people right where they are," then listed three programs, and then awkwardly started another sentence (or I guess continued. It's very poorly formatted). The only person you should be bewildered by is the version of you that posted the comment with such poor syntax if that truly wasn't your point.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  18. fl0at_

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/unmarried-childbearing.htm

In fact, if you actually look at some data, you'll see unmarried child birthing is declining, and that it is declining faster in the black community than it is in the white community.

If you look at attitudes towards childbearing, 75% of all people polled believe it was "ok" to have a child out of wedlock. Millennials are having higher than average out of wedlock births, and current birthrate totals are about 30% for whites and 40% for blacks. That's Table 15 in https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr66/nvsr66_01.pdf

So feel free to pivot or whatever you are about to do so you can adjust your narrative to fit your per-conceived notions.

19. GahLee

Sorry pal, not the best at putting words together.

20. GahLee

I don't have pre-concieved notions. Im not making assumptions from afar. There are too many black women raising kids on their own. Period. I grew up with these kids. I was one of those kids. My pivot foot isn't moving.