I keep hearing... (Yet Another Race Discussion)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Sep 25, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Killing all the earners.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Halle Berry here. Different tastes.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Boo Berry here

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Always so negative

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I keep getting older, boo berry stays perfect

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's the very definition of filtering. You have a list of races in your head, and then based on a name, you filter out the races that don't make sense for that name. That's filtering.

It's the thing you arrive at after exhausting all your filters that is your default. And it's generally white. And it's generally white, even for black people.

It's very weird. I attribute it to just common. Common things are common.

7. fl0at_

Enh. But a good many folks get butt hurt when a beloved character is thought to be white, and portrayed as black, even if the author's intention was black, or if there is enough leeway in the description for the character to be either black or white. Rue from Hungergames is example there.

And opposite is also true. Finn in Star Wars is the other side. Stormtroopers aren't black! Yea, well, he wasn't a storm trooper.

8. fl0at_

His point is that even if you do those things, if you are black, you have a higher chance of STILL being in poverty than if you are white. And that's true. And I'd bet too, without looking at anything, that the median wage for a semi-skilled laborer, who is black, is significantly lower than the same for a white dude.

It just is, and it doesn't mean it is due to racism or anything (though some is), but it still is. And so the question becomes "why?"

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We'll there's another thing, when I think about a crazy person, I think of a white guy too.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Boo Berry was always so hard for me to find. Fankenberry and Count Chocula yes, but Boo Berry, nope.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It will take generation's of black people to escape poverty as they know it. 75 percent isn't a number changing over night. In fact, the number keeps trending the other way.

Some culpability from the black community would be nice, I mean if I've got to be disgusted with being white and all the inherent advantages I've been given then they should at least feel a little remorse for continuing to abandon their families and murder each other in record numbers.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Also, Halle Berry keeps getting older, and she's staying perfect.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If we want to talk about systemic injustice *and* personal responsibility, I'm here for that. But in the circles I grew up in (conservative, white East Tennessee), there was a lot of talk of the latter and not much of the former

14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

The question is valid, but racism always seems to be the default answer when that is not proven to be true. Show me a law that is racist. Show me an employer that sets out to screw black people.

There are many efforts to advantage black people. More scholarships, government aid, etc.

It's not like America hates black people and wants them to fail. There's not some conspiracy to keep black people down. There's something within their own culture that holds them back. It's not race, it's culture. That culture holds astronomical murder rates, single mothers, drug abuse, etc.

Black leaders need to reach their culture from the inside out. The problems lies within, not externally. There's a ton of victimization and passing the blame going on that is fruitless. Sure, not everything is fair around every corner, that might be true. Police officers are not the biggest enemies of black people, their own culture is.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The Finn outrage was dumb. Those cloned trooper would be in their sixties. Of course you have to get new recruits.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Count Chocula was always my favorite, proving I am not a racist.

17. fl0at_

The same number of people that are demanding the white community do something is dwarfed by the number of people in the white community demanding something of the black community.

Acknowledging something that is true doesn't cause any harm, but rejecting it does.

There is disparity, even amongst similar pools. The average 75%er you mention that is white, is doing better than their black counterpart. Why?

And don't you think families may do better at staying together, when so many aren't being hauled off for stupid drug laws?

Or that the biggest indicator of a repeat offender is a first offender, and that young black males are more likely to be first offenders than going white males?

Acknowledging if doesn't point to a cause. But at least it doesn't bury it either.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It starts with black men stepping up and being dad's. Period. Until that happens they can talk about systematic racism until they pass out, it won't make a difference.

19. fl0at_

It was all dumb. Even Rue.

20. fl0at_

White households have a high divorce rate. Why does that mean they have a dad, but the black house hold doesn't?