I keep hearing... (Yet Another Race Discussion)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Sep 25, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You don't find that laws that structure city council districts, state representatives and school districts as being driven by race? At all?

I can't answer the rest until we look at something simple like that.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It will. It's a both/and. Fixing any of the issues will make a difference. Fixing all the issues will make the most difference

3. Tar Volon

There have been laws explicitly designed to target black people. There are numerous examples. For instance, have you ever heard of Redlining?

For a more contemporary example, any idea why the minimum sentences are so different for crack and powder cocaine?

Start with that and add a few decades and this is where you get.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Being a repeat drug offender is a choice. Take those losers out, if that makes you feel better. Still gonna have a disproportionately high number of broken families within the black community.

There is no running away from the problem, no amount of blame or white guilt will change it.

Racism exists but the self-inflicted wounds are far worse than any form of current day racism.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Dad was around for some time. Dad probably still involved in some capacity. It beats leaving a single mother to collect government aid until the child is 18.

6. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Redlining is wrong and illegal. Of course there have been laws hurting black people, but we aren't in the Jim Crow era. Everyone knows our history. Racism is ugly and wrong.

So you all would say that discriminatory "laws" is what is setting black people back? Drug sentencing and district lines? Not their own culture?

7. Tar Volon

It is my opinion that discriminatory laws played a big part in creating some of the current cultural problems, in addition to more tangible problems (poverty, for instance). As I've said before, it's a both/and.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

New Coach, I have been unable to find the stat that I am thinking of, so feel free to disregard. It looks like there is no reputable work on the killing of unarmed people, perhaps because it does not happen very often relative to the total number of police shootings.

Here is a CNN story about black men and police, though: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/20/health/black-men-killed-by-police/index.html

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know, me too.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa, now. You listed what you thought the 2 common factors and were just shown stats that clearly refute that notion. Looks like race is a pretty major factor too, no?

11. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

No. 2 factors when it comes to poverty. I said there are many factors why black people still don't make as much as white people once above the poverty line. Which I again say has nothing to do with race.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought he was Spanish, maybe Basque. Kinda swarthy more than black.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would evidence of something being due to race look like, in your opinion? Is there an example of something being due to race?

14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Penis size maybe

15. fl0at_

It isn't even history. It's present.

Let's take you and/or GahLee at face, and say there are tons of single moms living in assisted housing, and they have lots of kids, no dad, and welfare.

If city council maps school districts to include just that high poverty area to school A, and a nearer by area to school B, what does that say of school A?

Well, lots of kids. What does that do to class size? How does education correlate to class size? Favorably? No.

What happens when you put more kids under fewer teachers. Easier to control? No. More class clowns? Yup.

How does that help education? The very same education you are claiming is necessary for success? Makes it harder right?

Thus, current law that targets blacks like a scalpel.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Never had it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

So what is it about penis size that you have seen that would make you think that is based on race?

19. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

lol joking aside I believe physical and genetic make up is about as far as race goes. The issues we are discussing are in the realm of culture.

20. fl0at_

Nothing about culture in a school district map.