at Kentucky 2/16/19

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Feb 16, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

They had plenty of open looks and missed but there is no doubt that they settled.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Are we the type of real we thought we were is the question. Are we a Sweet 16 level team or a Final Four threat?

3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I typically like the set where he trails and Bone drives, kicks it back, and they usually spread the floor giving him a 1v1. Tonight, I thought he passed up a few chances in that set..typically he uses his body well to either finish or draw a foul. At the worst, he should use it to set up a kick out on the free player.

Maybe it was the body shots taking a toll. He looked more worn out tonight than he has in the last two years.

4. GahLee

In 3-4 minute spurts? Sure he can.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We are tired. Need a bye week.

6. GahLee

Final Four threat. No [uck fay]ing doubt about it.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its an adjustment that saves you some points here and there in that game and can come into play in Knoxville in a couple weeks. You can make a few adjustments in man and throw more zone at them in spurts. What they did tonite didnt work.

UT cant win on this level when Alexander lays down and Bowden and Turner dont give you anything.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

They could probably shoot blindfolded and hit a better clip than that.

9. GahLee

He hit 2 three's out of that. Usually he drives and kicks that ball or gets fouled. They weren't calling shit. My guy hit the floor about 8 times and most of them were no calls. You tend to not want to keep diving in to a snake pit. Tons of credit to UK, they played great. Game plan was great. The benefit of the whistle was just all the icing you could imagine.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They had more turnovers and shot less than 70% from the free throw line. As bad as the game was, we stuck around and were still in it late. A few foul calls and made shots, and it’s a completely different game.

11. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Barnes said....

They played selfish.

Williams competed harder than anyone.

A lot of the guys didn't follow the scouting report, especially when going small.

Settled for too many jumpers.

12. GahLee

We have switched nearly all year and inexplicably we didn't switch when we should have. It was frustrating. The zone certainty threw them off. I would open man to man and switching and then mix zone in all night long.

13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Should have clarified...those times were in 2nd half. And I agree they were letting it go, but he still backed off in that regard in the second half. May be crazier that he only took 4 shots from inside the arc all night.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. We don’t have an answer for Washington 1v1. He’s got the length to shoot over Williams and Schofield and the strength to bully Alexander. We have to double him or pack it in and deny the entry pass.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, I think we’ve gotta fight harder to deny position and disrupt that entry. And force him left.

16. GahLee

He is a mismatch no matter who is guarding him, so switching on screens isn't as big a deal. No matter the switch they aren't getting too much better of a match up. However, the switching would allow us to keep up with Herro and the other guys running off screens and getting open looks from 3. Zone just keeps those kids guessing on where to throw the entry pass. They didn't do to well figuring it out. I would expect more of it.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Your making my point.

Those guys mins get cut the farther down the road you get. And for that reason.

He can buy you mins against average teams yes. Pons is similar as well.

If Alexander dont hold his own this team is gonna struggle against teams with elite bigs. They dont have anyone behind him capable.

18. GahLee

Got to make him pass out of a double team.

19. GahLee

I just said he was a capable reserve. So saying he can do what is needed for 3-4 minute bursts isn't proving your point.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not convinced yet.