at Kentucky 2/16/19

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Feb 16, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I have zero expectations for Alexander on a game to game basis. I consider anything we get from him a bonus.

2. GahLee

Most teams are going to have a real hard time containing our offense. UK has the elite talent and size to do it. Other teams do as well. But the majority of the field isn't going to be able to stop us from getting the look we want.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Vols are no doubt one of the 6 best teams in the country.

justingroves likes this.
  4. GahLee

4 best

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont mind the idea that we are a man to man team that will play zone. If your willing to give them different looks when you have a bad match up even in man.

You cant let them establish the paint. Soon after you re dealing with outside shots and if they shoot it as well as they did tonite, you re in trouble.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Fulk pinned Silva on the board and played better D on Washington than Alexander or schofield did tonight. Add in a couple rebounds and its a role. Walker played for 2 minutes and watched the ball.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Probably. I think it’s Duke, UVA, Gonzaga, UT, UK, and I guess Nevada. I was ready to start talking UNC into that group before this week. Was thinking Purdue might be working their way in there too.

It’s a short list though.

8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

And at the end of the day, runs in March are typically determined by matchups you draw in your bracket.

Tonight aside, Tennessee's physicality should be a benefit in March. History also says being a veteran team is a huge advantage.

9. Beechervol

In which case your arguing a different point.

Mine was that he cant play at the level required by tonites opponent.

If UT has to lean on him due to injury, poor play or foul trouble (like tonite) against similar opponents in the future the outcome wont be much different. You can get away with his mins against 80% of the schedule. The rest are what's gonna prevent UT from winning what its capable of.

10. GahLee

For sure. He is a reserve for a reason. He can play that role though. Decent rebounder. Makes the right reads with the ball and makes good passes. Actually has a move or two in the post. We cannot count on Alexander, sadly. This team is a small ball nightmare. It is why Bone continued to yell at everyone tonight to get down the floor. He wanted to push the pace. We should have tried to outrun them at some point.

11. GahLee

Duke, UVA and UT are the top 3. There is a number of teams that could fill that 4 spot.

12. GahLee

Right. Not many teams are going to be able to do what UK did tonight. I don't think UK can do it again.

OneForVol likes this.
  13. Beechervol

If he plays the way he did tonite, your a bad matchup and poor shooting nite away from getting bounced in the first weekend of the AA again.

It's the thinnest position on the team and the biggest weakness because you have no answer behind him for extended mins.

When hes physical, defends, rebounds, and gets his handful of points as hes done most of the season UT can beat anyone, anywhere.

If he dont theres a lot more scenarios that end UTs season prematurely.

I said before the season that he and Bone were the key to UT taking the next step. That hasn't changed.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think Alexander can be better against UK if we can put him in the right position to be successful. I liked the zone because it slows down Washington and forces them to shoot contested shots. If you anchor Alexander in the middle, it will also make it harder for them to penetrate.

Putting him 1 on 1 with Washington was not a recipe for success.

15. Beechervol

Against UGA, USC, Mizzou? Sure. He has value as a reserve.

Alexander's ceiling is substantially higher and he has shown that more often than not this year. He hasn't made as big of a jump as Bone has from last year but they are what can move the needle in the tournament.

Fulk has the role of saving you mins over the year against most of the teams you play. If hes having to play in games like tonite because Alexander is out for whatever reason your not gonna like the results.

16. GahLee

He cannot be trusted. A lineup with him on the bench and Bowden starting is far scarier to me. Jordan Bone has played the point guard position as well as anyone in the entire country. He has been great.

17. GahLee

Nobody is arguing differently.

18. Beechervol

You dont have a choice.
    They ve lost 2 games trusting him so far. He sucked tonite but hes part of the reason UT is considered one of the top seeds in the tournament to date.

19. Beechervol

At least not very well.

20. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Softball once again offers our best chance for a national championship.