POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

Also, the metaphorical "fight" language is weak. Notice how I haven't focused on it, like at all, when discussing Waters and her comments?

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Cool, and Maxine Waters said “get more confrontational” she didn’t say “loot shit and throw soup at cops”.

So I guess what you are saying is everyone is innocent

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That one doesn't count

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, peace, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, ...

He said "peace".

NorrisAlan, emainvol and Unimane like this.
  5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

But you did. You pulled the “confrontational” line out of what she said. And that’s fine, I think it’s something she ought not have said either. But you can’t tell me “you have to fight or else you aren’t going to have a country” is not at least as bad as “you have to get more confrontational”

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I doubt the people in the back row heard that one. In an about face, the back row gets there first.

My question, really, is when all those folks started going through, why didn't the people who heard that remark get in front of folks and ask them to stop?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

And when they weren't peaceful, what did he do?

SetVol13 and emainvol like this.
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You insinuated Trump was alone. I was simply pointing out that there were plenty of other people that were being called out.

So what you're saying is, Maxine Waters already foresees riots taking place, and she's utilizing her platform to fan the flames and push for them to happen, rather than to de-escalate and push for peaceful protest?

And you also seem to be saying that no one could have seen that there would be rioting at the Capitol. Does Trump fall into that? If Trump had some sort of inkling that there was going to be rioting at the Capitol, perhaps he would have chosen his words differently. But I'm sure that he, like you, had no idea there was going to be rioting, so he said what he said.

It seems one person knows very well what she's pushing for, while the other doesn't, based on your words, not mine. That's problematic.

Assuming conflict because people work together isn't factual. There are a number of people I've worked with that I haven't liked, at all. You're assuming that working together = good relationship, which is an assumption, not a fact.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Before or after he told them he “loved” them?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've said, from the beginning, that I don't like holding Person A responsible for the actions of Person B. Go back and read my first couple posts in this discussion.

I don't hold either of them responsible for incitement, at this point, but I know that Waters is a helluva lot closer to it than Trump. Yet, somehow, those posting in this thread claim Trump incited and Waters is just irresponsible. It's baffling (not really).

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Indy, if Trump didn’t have some sort of inkling that things might go south at the capital, then everyone who has ever called him a moron and caught flak for it deserves an apology. Because that would make him a [uck fay]ing moron

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

All of this is speculation on this part, as a verdict of not guilty has not been reached at this point in time. So there is nothing to claim she incited yet, right?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So a bunch of metaphorical, non specific "fights" are more important to you than the very specific call for peaceful protest?

Come on, man!

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Laughable is your transparent desire to formulate an argument which makes this the same as Trump's, which you painstakingly argued wasn't that bad because he made one passing mention to peace in the midst of 7,452 inflammatory statements, and now seem to look to formulate how Waters could be at fault. It was evident you were going this route miles away. But, fine, we'll play your silly game.

So, to leave Trump out of this, there is a difference between what Waters said in a press conference or wherever and her saying the exact same words on a bull horn in front of a riled up crowd in Minnesota. The latter would be much worse because, you know, context.

15. fl0at_

I didn't insinuate that he was alone. I explicitly pointed out that he wasn't alone, when I said: "Because it was clearly pimped by the President of the United States. On Twitter. On Fox. At Rally's. In phone calls. By his associates and his lawyers." Unless you think "his associates and his lawyers" somehow means "alone." I'm not sure how you arrive at that, but I don't know how you arrive at almost all of your conclusions.

No, what I'm saying is that riots are going to happen regardless of what Maxine Waters says. I doubt she'd be successful in de-escalating. I'm not entirely sure, yet, whether rioting will be warranted. It might be warranted.

If Trump had chosen his words differently, there wouldn't have been rioting.

I find the unforeseeable to be worse than the foreseen. If Trump thought his rhetoric was going to go nowhere, and it blew up... that's worse than knowing rhetoric is going to cause something to blow up. Because at least we can plan for the foreseen.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think you have it backwards. All the numerous other times in which he said or insinuated something else don't count because then it would blow up the nonsense narrative he actually meant being peaceful after spending months pushing the agenda otherwise. It's like the one time I rooted for the Gators to beat Ohio State doesn't make me a Florida fan.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You think saying, figuratively, that "we have to fight" for something is worse than saying "we have to get more confrontational?" Seriously?

It is incredibly common for people to use the word "fight" in speeches without literally meaning "punch someone" or "do someone harm." Waters did it in her speech. She said something about fighting for justice. Again, note that I'm not calling that part out.

When do people ever say "we have to get more confrontational" in a figurative way? Never, because it's not figurative language.

18. fl0at_

Yelling matches are confrontations.

emainvol likes this.
  19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Do people have to commit violent acts to be confrontational?

Can you be both peaceful and confrontational?

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

God, Charles Manson should have just told the court he was being sarcastic