POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I guess I have to agree in part. Republicans generally support law enforcement when they're shooting up minorities, but are less likely to support them when doing their actual job. So naturally a standard investigation procedure is the end of democracy since it happened to a white guy that they like.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They raided the home of a former POTUS and the current favorite to be the other party's nomination for president in 2024. It's something that's literally never been done before. There is nothing "standard" about it.

The rational people on the right are asking why and demanding a strong justification. If a strong justification follows, then so be it. Meanwhile, everyone on the left is already convinced that they're just "doing their actual job" despite having no information about why the raid took place.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'll just put you in the More equal than others box. Not that I'm surprised.

It doesn't matter who he is and what he's thinking about doing in regards to politics. FBI raids are a standard part of FBI investigations. They happen. If you hyphenate enough everything is a first.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

They weren't the only ones who ran afoul of the IRS at that time. They were just the largest group.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

But is it any surprise that anti-tax groups weren't paying enough in taxes and doing a sloppy job of trying to get around tax rules?

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're just making shit up to avoid the legitimacy of the actual issue at hand. I've said multiple times that a highly justifiable reason for the raid makes this less of an issue.

It absolutely matters. I don't want the DOJ of the in-office political party raiding the home of the leader of another political party if it's not justified. You shouldn't either. That's legitimately scary shit.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Well feel free to pull out your evidence as you are making the claim its untoward.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would an ignored subpoena for the material count?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I haven't made the claim it's untoward. Again, you're just making shit up.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It would depend on the material. Again, it would have to be incredibly sensitive material to justify raiding the former POTUS's home, rather than continuing to work towards other, less antagonistic/controversial/divisive options of retrieving it.

I can already see the inevitable South Park episode where the material is something completely ridiculous, like a photo of Trump, Randy, and Winnie the Pooh engaged in a threesome.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Ok, so you're doing the classic Indy of being too chickenshit to own your opinion. So you hide behind "this is probably fine, but" then spend the next 30 pages obfuscating everything so you can argue the point you really want to argue without having to own it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know, I think we have to see how things play out.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, that's not what I've done at all. You've argued lazily in this thread, making stuff up as you go. I've been extremely specific about where I stand.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We will see. Trump has been an alleged sinking ship for years now. Maybe he's about to finally capsize, or maybe it's just more wishful thinking from people who have wanted him to sink for years.

tvolsfan and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, potentially. But even so, I think the optics of it just aren't good. And it seems likely we may never know what the material is. They could easily claim that it's "too sensitive" or classified to share. And at that point, it's basically a "trust us" scenario.

If half the country already doesn't trust you, that's not a good deal. Which is why I, and others, are wondering if the raid was truly necessary.

18. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

There are bad takes and then there is this.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It does kind of sound like something Chelsea Handler would tweet

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Well maybe you can tell me why they crawl out of the woodwork offering excuses every time an officers shoots unarmed black people, then are worked up when their side gets investigated. The lunacy is all on the right. I have slowly drifted left over the years but still consider myself right of center. I don't remotely recognize the Republican party or their apologists any more. Their sprint to insanity has been swift.

The Dooz likes this.