The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jason Isbell's new single seems to show Amanda Shires is suicidal

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I’m not sure where she saw it, but my wife said she read something from him saying it wasn’t about Amanda or anyone specific.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also, Isbell has a documentary coming out on HBO next month.

chavisut likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I mean, of I wrote a song about my wife being suicidal I would probably play it off too

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I like most of his stuff. he kind of seems like a [penis] a lot of the time though

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don’t know, they both seem to be pretty up open about that kind of stuff so I doubt they would play it off.

7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

He seems to think sometimes it’s his politics that makes people think that. Some may feel that way. But more are like me (and I’m guessing you too). I don’t care about his politics at all, but politics have made him insufferable at times. Kind of similar to Steve Earle if you’ve seen interviews or shows where he just lets politics be at the forefront too much.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah it’s not so much his politics but his always putting it in your face and also general disdain for anybody who thinks differently than he does. But he’s tolerant

9. JohnnyQuickkick

going to see Turnpike Aug 12th!

justingroves likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

11. HCKevinSteele

Dang I’d love to go I haven’t seen them since they got back together. I’m guessing those cost a fortune?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I had tickets last year and got covid.

I got in on the presale. $93 by the time they added all the fees.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

$120 apiece, not too bad for the Ryman

14. HCKevinSteele

Oh yeah that’s not bad. I tried to get tickets for their first show back at Red Rocks. I had a place in the queue, then the site crashed. Sold out and they were immediately being resold for like $400.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

I really like Zach Bryan but the more I listen to him, a lot of his songs just kind of run together

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

His earlier stuff is better, imo.

I stumbled across him on Spotify in the summer of 2020 and really enjoyed him. Now that his popularity has exploded, it seems he's cranking out as much music as possible, which I can't blame him for doing. It's still better than 95% of current country music, though.

justingroves likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's unavoidable for a lot of musicians.

18. HCKevinSteele

I understand his appeal, but most of his songs sound like he cranked 5 or 6 out in a 3 hour writing session and there were no edits from first draft to the recording. I may be wrong, but even if I’m not there’s nothing wrong with that per se. I feel like how raw his music is is what people are drawn to. It’s not like he’s a particularly good vocalist, guitar player or songwriter (in a technical sense).

justingroves likes this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This goofy looking bastard is a straight killer.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People are wanting raw, non auto tuned music.

Something in the orange, Burn Burn Burn and Oklahoma Smokeshow show his songwriting skills.

Heavy Eyes is pretty much how we spent high school.

Whiskey Fever is how drinking songs are supposed to sound

HCKevinSteele likes this.