Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Agreed but I would bet they wouldn't.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

if Deion was FSU’s coach, they would have been in the playoff.

justingroves and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

True, but at the same time they wouldn’t have been 13-0.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Of course not, but Deion can deliver a television rating. Few can rival the draw that Nick Saban and Alabama are…but he can.

Unfortunately for Mike Norvell, he’s a nobody to the casual viewer.

In retrospect, FSU never had a fair chance. College football is pro wrestling. They were always going to book the matchups they knew could deliver the most viewers.

justingroves and OneForVol like this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah the committee isn’t trying to be fair or balanced and they don’t give a shit about competition. They’re just trying to put on a TV show.

zehr27 and JT5 like this.
  6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

For all of the FSU fans that keep screaming they are more than a QB, they had a chance to prove that against Louisville and looked like dog shit. 2014 Ohio State is an example of a team showing they were more than a QB. Their 3rd string QB plays in the Big 10 Championship game and they win 59-0. That's a team that was more than a QB.

justingroves likes this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Who gives a shit? They looked exceptional on defense and, most importantly, won. In fact, no one has beaten them, yet. This is the only sport this side of ballroom dancing in which decisions regarding titles is based upon something other than wins and losses.

warhammer, A-Smith and IP like this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

College basketball and college baseball both have selections done by a committee, though the controversy is pushed a lot further down the line than the 4/5 argument. Hell, college baseball awards home field advantage to teams in the postseason based off of their stadiums. Every year, the NCAA basketball tournament is the biggest mess in organized sports. Those are both definitely worse than what we currently have in college football.

OneForVol likes this.
  9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seems the common thread is the NCAA. Shocking.

10. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Could give a [uck fay] what they looked like after 13-0. Alabama almost lost to Auburn a week before and looked horrible. Then they beat Georgia who’s played no one all year.

TCU was supposed to get hammered by Michigan last year, they won. Should we not actually play GA state next time they come to town bc we have better players than them and there’s no way they beat us? It’s a sham.

Alabama and the SEC bring more eyeballs. Alabama vs Michigan and FSU vs Michigan are just different levels. Especially with the 3rd string qb seeing as they likely will be blown out. But they’ve earned the right to play and Alabama already lost their playoff game at home against Texas this year, we just didn’t know it at the time. It’s a joke, it cheapens the game, but luckily it won’t matter any more after this year when we get 12 teams in. I just [uck fay]ing hate watching nick saban get the special treatment he always gets over and over again. But it makes perfect sense.

warhammer and A-Smith like this.
  11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Odds Saban retires if they win it? I bet he would.

12. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

If that’s the case then I hope Bama wins it all.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

[uck fay] Saban and bama. I do. not. like. Michigan. But I hope they skulldrag bama and make them look bad.

I am more than tired of them being coddled.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa, hard disagree. There is not undefeated, potential 1 or 2 seeds being left put entirely in those sports.

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

With the metric being not using wins and losses to decide the champions, they are both worse. We consistently see teams with more wins and/or conference championships given low seeds or tough draws because of the committee. College baseball considers stadium amenities and local infrastructure and ability to host in situations like Tennessee and Southern Miss last year. That is the complete opposite of deciding a champion with wins and losses.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And while I was hard against the move to a 12 team playoff, I am not solidly for it, just to get these jacklegs from having the power to pick the top 4. The more teams, the less power they have to [uck fay] it up.

9-3 LSU getting in over 10-2 Penn State is not a thing I care about nor will it matter.

IP likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, there is still a major win/loss component in those others, where in college football win/loss doesn't guarantee you anything. The best record guarantees you a shot in the other two. We aren't talking about fsu not getting a good seed or not hosting. They're done. Eliminated with perfect on-field results. They have been denied eligibility for a championship based solely on a player injury. I can't think of anything comparable. Certainly not bad baseball seeding or poor draw in March. Not at all the same.

InVolNerable and Unimane like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The best team from every p5 conference should be in. That has always been the flaw with 4. Should have been 6 or 8. I guess 12 was to make it mushy enough so that people pay attention even when the favorites are decided.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It rarely is

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

12 is good for entertainment value. But it again kills the credibility of the selection committee — or maybe it’s better to say the selection committee further kills its own credibility by expanding to 12.

A committee member said of FSU, “For me, individually, I evaluated [whether they could] make it through and win a national championship with the team they had."

If they don’t believe FSU could win 2 games and hoist a trophy, why the hell are we expanding to 12??

Do they believe Liberty, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Penn State could win 3 games to hoist the same trophy?

[uck fay] no. So if that belief is the basis for a playoff invitation, why are we expanding?

Volsdude and IP like this.