14 Dead, 50 injured in CO theater shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

But would carry permits be with the age of people at this event? Its usually an older age group that would carry, anyone under 21 would be issued a carry permit.

2. WM

WM Active Member

I'm quite surprised that more of a wiki or even a photo of this guy hasn't leaked out on the net. Obviously dude was a recluse if no one that knew him hasn't jumped on Reddit yet.

3. Oldvol75

Fox has been showing his picture for some time now.

4. Oldvol75

Talked to my wife this morning and she was listening to police scanners in colorado at her police station this morning, obviously said it was very hectic.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Likely involved legal firearms.

If Colorado is like Tennessee, and Colorado is a lot more lenient than Tennessee, even allowing carry on some University campuses, until a few years ago, then unless the property was a posted property, it would have been legal to carry.

In Tennessee, propery rights trump all, and so private business can post to not allow carry on their propery. Colorado is likely similar.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That, and could you even get accurate return fire on him with tear gas in your eyes, in the dark, and surging panicked people all around you? It was an extremely difficult situation.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even in the answer is "no" and then "yes," I don't know what that really proves. A gun is not illegal at manufacture. It becomes so when it gets used in a crime, gets into someone's possession illegally, etc. If it was legal, it isn't a legal one now.

As far as whether you can carry a gun into a theater, I suspect the answer is yes.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Darkness, tear gas, panicked crowds all around. What kind of James Bond is there to get that shot off?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you are right. Colorado is definitely more gun-friendly (considered one of the most gun friendly of all along with Arizona, Nevada, and Utah) than Tennessee.

But I want to reiterate that this shouldn't be made into a story about gun control. It is a story about a mad man. I don't think gun control would have changed anything, one way or the other.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm still curious about the "Tennessee tags" on his car as was earlier reported. Was this just a mistake, or is there something more going on?

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Depends on the concentration of the gas. I've only been hit with CS gas, and it burns but you can fight through it.

I think it would take a lot of luck and more skill to accurately return fire. Odds are the return fire would be enough to scare the guy away, but even that isn't absolute.

My worry would be that while partially blinded, amped up on adrenalin and not having night sites on my firearm that I'd risk hitting someone innocent behind the guy.

Basically, unless the guy walks in my site picture, I probably would treat it like any other active shooter and just stay down. Drawn and ready, but down.

Others might choose to act differently. It is all situationally dependent.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dunno. The videos on the news show CO plates on the vehicle.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The United States of America needs to make a statement with this clown. Hang him from the tallest tree in Colorado. Let victims' family members whip his ass with anything they can get their hands on while he hangs there, and then get the firing squad in there and hit him with 71 bullets and then kick the chair our from underneath him just for good measure. Piece of trash. Show these fools that justice will be served.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nah, don't give him a spectacle. Do it real quiet, then display the body.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Another note, he doesn't know what he is putting these families through. My grandmother dying in January by gunshot was the worst thing that I have ever been through.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think there's real questions to this guy's sanity or ability to stand trial. It'll be interesting to see what happens considering the unbelievable pressure the DA's office will be under to nail this guy.

17. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

So Google won't let us cuss but the Google ad on the side of a thread about a mass shooting is a woman sporting a shirt of a gunshot wound for sale....

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think that would do the slightest thing to prevent mass shootings.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

It won't but it will show them that they won't get away with it.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Agree that amid the gas and chaos, it would've taken a heck of a marksman to bring down this whacko. No way would I take the shot due to the dangers of hitting an innocent bystander who was running around freaking out