2015 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Mar 17, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've always wonder how many of them would be eligible to play another year anyway. you know they didn't bother to go to class.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not all of them are freshmen, so they're allegedly going to class. Cal says they all go to class as long as they are on the team.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

interesting. hard to believe. if you were a one and doner why would you go to class? by the time you are ruled ineligible you are long gone. of course Cal's APR is pretty good so he must be gaming it somehow.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

In the press conference he says that their scholarships are promised to them --waiting for them-- anytime they want to come back.

What? Surely they couldn't reenroll in school after 10 years in the NBA and get their scholarship back. Wouldn't that count against the number available for the basketball team? Surely UK couldn't award them academic scholarships. Wouldn't that be some kind of violation. Is Cal promising to pay it out of his own bank account? I'm sure Cal doesn't expect many of them to come back, but still that seemed sleazy to me.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don't know how it works but baseball players get that type of thing.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

UT has a program set up to allow players to do exactly that. What's sleazy about letting guys who made you a bunch of money get their degree?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

also helps their apr

8. hatvol96

I have to make this point every year. OJ Mayo ended up at least three spots higher than he would have in the draft by continuing to go to class and not screwing USC's APR. When scouts are making decisions when talent is equivalent, they look for guys who do things the right way. Bailing out of class and screwing your school is a good way to end up falling behind similar guys who take care of their responsibilities.

9. hatvol96

How come nobody ever asks if Okafor and Winslow are going to class this semester?

10. hatvol96

Depends on how soon they come back.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my understanding was it didn't matter and the school get bonus points in the year in which the individual completes it. in other words it's not tied to their class.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Probably because Cal is a poor victim of the vicious media and not because Duke is a much better school.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I figured it was against NCAA rules to give players, who were recruited to be athletes, academic scholarships when their academic stats don't merit it. It reminded me a bit of the Tyndall situation --players associated with the team but not on the roster and not on athletic schlarship, receiving benefits. Only difference it seems to me is whether the benefits come before or after playing. But if they're promised before playing, what's the ethical distinction? For instance, can Tennessee tell football players that they have a 4 year free ride whether they play more than a year or not? If Elliott Berry, for instance, quit but wanted to stay in school would it be okay if we told him we were going to pay for his next 3 years of school? Doesn't really seem fair to other students.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Because Saint K of Durham guides them in morals and spirit to honor their responsibilities of manhood.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

UT does the same thing. If you leave early in good standing, you can come back. It isn't a violation because they're not eligible athletes anymore.

It's a good program, considering what those students give to the university. The whole "but they get a free education!" shit was always silly, but even more so in the current economy where people with master's degrees serve coffee.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If their eligibility is up, I don't see what the NCAA can do. Just make a post sports fund from some rich donor.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's an exemption for guys that suffer injury and choose to not be on the team. They're still on scholarship, but don't count towards the 85 limit.

19. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

As opposed to Bo Ryan and his 40% graduation rate

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

graduation rate? Coach K said the times have changed and it is perfectly normal to not graduate and just go right out into the world.