2016 New Hampshire Primaries

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 8, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

droski, this is a very long report so forgive me if this seems lazy: where is the part where they get into their current cost? The executive summary and parts thereafter seem to be projecting what they believe the cost would be after amnesty.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Did you read it? I'd say it's very well done despite the bias of the source.

When I see positive tax impacts I know they are completely fabricated. The numbers just can't add up. Cost of good impacts are highly subjective based on who is doing the estimates, but at least i can kind of buy that. Either way it's a ridiculous statement to agree there is some consensus on this issue. It's a very hard analysis with dozens of estimates to get anything that is anywhere close to a real number. I still refuse to believe the cost of goods number can make up for the other negative impacts. It's just too large.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

But what about the immense strain on social services and money spent on welfare for these law breakers? The Congressional Budget Office in 2007 answered this question in the following manner: “Over the past two decades, most efforts to estimate the fiscal impact of immigration in the United States have concluded that, in aggregate and over the long term, tax revenues of all types generated by immigrants—both legal and unauthorized—exceed the cost of the services they use.” According to the New York Times, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration claims that undocumented workers have contributed close to 10% ($300 billion) of the Social Security Trust Fund.

Finally, the aggregate economic impact of illegal immigration is debatable, but any claim that they’ve ruined the country doesn’t correlate to the views of any notable economist. An open letter to President George W. Bush in 2006, signed by around five hundred economists (including five Nobel laureates) stated the following: “While a small percentage of native-born Americans may be harmed by immigration, vastly more Americans benefit from the contributions that immigrants make to our economy, including lower consumer prices.”

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You posted a study from a labor organization dude

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hard to see how the costs would be materially higher after amnesty.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. RockyHill

Literally the only demographic hurt by illegal immigration is low income workers.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Some reason it won't let me quote the post rocky hill posted.

But. Of course if you include legal immigration it's a net positive. The average legal immigrant is educated and relatively wealthy. Completely different impact.

As for social security that's literally the only federal tax they pay. All that 10 percent number does is suggest how staggering the number of illegals are in this country.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ridiculous

9. RockyHill

Illegal immigrants are a net positive. I can post all the studies you want. You're argument is you don't believe the studies.

10. RockyHill

And the Cato Institute should be right up your alley.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Explain to me where the tax money is coming from. And there are plenty of studies that show a negative impact. Yes I am a critical thinker. Think about it logically as to how difficult it is to estimate an impact, then add in political ramifications.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

According to the appendices, illegals currently pay more than they cost.

Total cost according to Table A-8 (pg 6 of 6): $3,797,680

Total paid according to Table A-9 (pg 5 of 5): $4,107,018

This report is about how expensive amnesty would be. It actually supports the idea that they are currently net neutral to positive.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Should have read the article before dismissing it, Rocky. Raw data is raw data. You missed out on e-cred.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The Cato institute has been pro immigration from a philosophical point of view forever

Read the emotional manipulation on their website: http://www.cato.org/research/immigration

does this sound like a group sans agenda?

15. RockyHill

Nope, I just did the math in my head and it doesn't add up.

16. RockyHill

It wouldn't matter where I got the study from you'd still clIm you crunched the numbers and that it doesn't make any sense. All the economists are wrong.

17. RockyHill

And thanks to IP checking the whole thing out, Droski's study doesn't even support his point. I wish I was surprised.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They show total costs well over $5

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

All the economists? Source?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right in the summary it shows a negative $14k tax impact per illegal immigrant