8thMaxim's 8thMail

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Pics@8thMaxim, Jun 26, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barracuda are bait for sail fish and sharks. They also like to take bites out of the damn grouper and wahoo on the way up

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

They're not good. I usually smoke them, but have to cut the last foot of the tail off because of the worms.looks like Ramon noodles

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yellowtail are their favorite

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I just wanted to hold the damn thing

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I caught a 97lb yellowfin tuna.

It kicked my ass.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, that would have broke my back. I'd have purposely broken that line just to save face...

7. fl0at_

That spyderco blade would have appeared like magic in my hand.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Man you guys are making me jealous

9. fl0at_

How do you not go out? You live like... right there.

JayVols likes this.
  10. fl0at_

For me to go tuna fishing, I have to find 4 willing participants. I have to ensure seas aren't higher than 10 feet. We then have to cram into whatever vehicle can haul us, and several coolers 7 and half hours south. Find food, lodging and whisky. Then meet our captain, flop on to his boat. Drive 4 hours offshore, bake in the sun and hope we catch something. Rinse, repeat. Then drive 7 and a half hours home two days later.

Oh, and we pay a [uck fay] ton just for fuel.

One time, we didn't even catch anything.

justingroves and JayVols like this.
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We went to the Bahamas this spring for yellowfin, we were catching them left and right, but the sharks were terrible. We'd get the tuna within 20 feet of the boat, then we'd pull up just a head. I'll see if I can find a pic

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So, I guess I have you guys beat on this one, I drive 12 minutes to the ramp, we take a 15 minute boat ride, fish all day, cone home. We do a Bahamas trip where we ride abut 90 minutes east, fish until dark, and check into a hotel. It's fun.

Ssmiff likes this.
  14. JayVols

Thieving bastages.

15. JayVols

We need an "unlike" button up in here. I drive 10 hours to get to where I leave out of. If you guys watch Wicked Tuna- Outer Banks, you've seen where I go out from. They aren't exaggerating how tough Oregon Inlet is to navigate. The currents around Bonner Bridge are insane & if you get out of the dredged channel, good chance you're on a sand bar. We hit a sand bar once in the channel.

16. JayVols

[​IMG]

Bonner Bridge. As you can see, they are replacing it. The crews cut the underground electric cable a few months ago. Cut off power to all the Outer Banks south of Oregon Inlet for a week or two.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

that's the great thing about splurging on a trip to roatan or costa rica. Flights aren't cheap, though SWA flies to CR now, but once there its pretty cheap and you spend 10 minutes boating over the 2nd largest reef in the world and catching tuna within a couple minutes. And when a wahoo bites a tuna in half with a precision cut, the hunt is on.

18. JayVols

I caught a citation wahoo my first trip out at Hatteras. As the fish was lying on the deck, the very drunk 1st mate tried to kick it in the cooler in the deck of the boat. In his drunken stupor, his aim was badly off. That sucker bit him just above the ankle. Ripped him open bad. Of course he felt very little pain as he had more than enough alcohol in his system to deaden even the most aggravated nerve. The guy bled like a stuck hog all over the deck of the boat. His best buddy, the captain, raged for hours because he was bleeding all over his boat.

The trip to the marina to fill up after we were done was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen or heard. I can't begin to do it justice, but the captain started showing concern & told the guy he needed to go to the ER to get checked out & stitched up. I mean, there was a huge flap of flesh just dangling. The young lady working the marina saw it and said she agreed with the captain. The young lady was in her final year of nursing school, but the mate was too drunk for that to register apparently. Whenever the captain kept telling him he needed to got to the ER and that the marina gal/nursing student agreed, Miff (Yes. That's the mate's real name.) with a heavy drunken slur kept answering, "What does she know???She works at a [uck fay]ing gas station!!!!"

Like I said, I can't do the whole scene justice, but my ribs were sore for days because I laughed so hard.

He did go to the hospital. He got over 60 stitches and had to get multiple shots to guard against bacterial contamination from the fish.

Good times.

Ssmiff likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

60 stitches? Good grief.

20. JayVols

It was bad.