8thMaxim's 8thMail

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Pics@8thMaxim, Jun 26, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Our water is more for looking at than swimming or fishing

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pacific is deep and cold. But still, I imagine there are charter fishing trips, no?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There are, but it’s better in Northern California and Baja. You have to get pretty far out near where I am.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

WS.jpg today in Roatan. I want to be there. But with 12 fewer folk.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've gone 60 miles out a few times

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah I don’t really like going out in the deep sea in boats.

utvol0427 likes this.
  7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You've not lived until you're 80 miles from land when a tropical depression formed 100 miles away in a 34ft boat where one of its two engines is having trouble and waves breaking on top of the boat. Not on top of like near. On top of like over the top of the boat.

Was so rough, I broke a small bone under the ball of my left big toe. Full throttle. Big wave. Airborne. Long drop into a trough. BIG crash. Ouch.

Kept fishing though. Went to the doctor a month later because it still hurt. Yep. Broke bone. In a boot for a month. Was worth every bit of it.

droski likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Live a little

9. JayVols

I understand droski. His feelings on this are similar to my feelings on flying. Unless completely unavoidable, I'M NOT GETTING IN A THIN ALUMINUM CAN THAT GOES 500MPH AT 35K TO 40K FEET OFF THE GROUND. Not. Gonna. Do. It.

utvol0427 likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Haha

I've been out on the ocean a lot. I've had 8 to 10 foot waves out there. The worst, roughest water I've ever been on is Kentucky Lake in a 20 ft bullet with tornadoes forming all around us. The damn white caps were breaking over our head and the boat was blowing sideways going across the channel. It's the only time I've thought "Well, this is it"

11. Ssmiff

Only boat trouble I've had is Jamaica when we tested the local flavors and headed out on a little hobiecat sailboat. After falling out and laughing with my boss trying to turn back, it became not funny once we got across the reef. Had to be rescued as the beach faded away and we could not turn it around.

12. JayVols

I know that feeling. It's not fun.

On my deal, I knew we were in trouble when the 1st mate (different one than Miff) was the first one to puke. I felt like 40 miles of bad road, but I never hurled. The captain and I are the only 2 that didn't. Volguy can back me up on this, but my crew has been going to Hatteras every year for 25 years now. Started my sophomore year in college. I had been after one of my buddies forever to go deep sea fishing with us. He's scared to death of open ocean. That trip from hell is the trip we finally convinced him to go..... Poor guy sat on a throw cushion draped over the transom of the boat doing a great job of chumming the waters for us. He was inhaling an ungodly amount od diesel fumes in his position too, but he said dying of carbon monoxide poisoning would be a sweet relief compared to his sea sickness. Anyway, every time we hooked up (we caught mahi exclusively on this trip) he would scoot across the deck of the boat on his ass to get out of the way. Once we landed the fish, he would scoot on his ass right back to where he was. I felt really bad for him but could't stop laughing. Him scooting on his ass like that looked exactly like a dog scratching his ass by scooting on the grass. Couldn't. Stop. Laughing.

Funny thing was 5 minutes after we hit calm waters in Pamlico Sound after going under the Bonner Bridge, we all were fine. Started chowing down on anything we could find. My buddy was so mad, he said that now that he faced his big fear, I had to fly in an airplane. I paid my debt in 2010 flying to and from Chicago. Neither of us want to face our fear again.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I get sea sick very easily. I fully admit I’m a wimp

14. JayVols

The more you do it the less it bothers you.

Has nothing to do with being a wimp. Has everything to do with the inner ear and brain and how they adapt to conflicting input. You feel one thing, but the brain is seeing something different. That's tough to overcome, but not insurmountable.

15. JayVols

I deep sea fish and go on cruises on a regular basis, and there are still times that I feel like I'm still on the boat even days after the trip is over.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I also had to navigate Percy Priest in a 12 ft tiller handle stump jumper during a snow storm. It was one of the best duck hunts I've ever been on, but I was pretty sure we were going to die before we could even take a picture.

The cold front hit and every damn bird around fell in our laps. It was awesome until the ride to the boat ramp.

17. Ssmiff

yeah falling over into the wall while brushing my teeth later has happened a couple times. That an walking thru the den feeling like the floor was a trampoline

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well maybe not a wimp because of that, but definitely a weenie in general things that move around a lot. i took a tuk tuk in thailand (basically a motorcycle with a carriage in back) and almost died of a heart attack.

19. JayVols

One of the few solid rules for my life is "Never go to Thailand".

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it was awesome, but bangkok is a shithole